wandering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys gonna attack my front diff new gaskets, shims, and seals. my question is if i increase the knuckle bearing preload beyond say 15lbs can it help with the bad wandering habit:hmm: i did the soa years ago and knew nothing then of bearing preload:bang: so the preload is probably way off anyhow. all other components seem ok tie rod ends,spring eye bushings etc..thanx for any suggestions or replys:beer:

I wouldn't mess with the preload.

The center arm seems to be the biggest source of wandering. Other than that improper alignment.

thanx for the replys guys , as for the castor angle i did not do the cut and turn myself. i bought a whole diff housing already cut and turned from a place called fab-tech off road i think out of kelowna, b.c back in the mid 90"s . the dude i bought from delivered the housing in person, seemed like a shadey character so not sure of the quality or angle...thanx:beer:

No. I would not increase knuckle bearing preload to try to correct a wandering problem. I might tighten up my wheel bearings if I thought they were too loose. I might narrow up my toe-in. Do you even have a center arm with the Saginaw PS?
Other than those easy fixes, I might consider going to a professional front end guy and having castor and camber measured, toe-in too as long as there and just to double-check.

if i'm thinkin of the right thing(part) that item got turfed when i did the power steer conversion.could the saginaw box be wore out? i know u can adjust it, but inspecting it while someone saws on the wheel shows no slop?..

I would buy a cheap magnetic angle finder from harbor freight and check my caster angle first. just set the angle finder on top of your steering arm and tell us what you find...

I would buy a cheap magnetic angle finder from harbor freight and check my caster angle first. just set the angle finder on top of your steering arm and tell us what you find...

You need to measure castor relative to the road surface.

What were you assuming he was going to do? Jack up the rear end and then measure it? haha

Naw, just making sure. ;) Castor is only a matter of a few degrees. The mildest slope on a driveway is enough to throw the measurement off. I laid an 8 foot straightedge down under mine when I did it and set the angle finder on that to find the reference point. Wonder of wonders, that part of my driveway was level!

Naw, just making sure. ;) Castor is only a matter of a few degrees. The mildest slope on a driveway is enough to throw the measurement off. I laid an 8 foot straightedge down under mine when I did it and set the angle finder on that to find the reference point. Wonder of wonders, that part of my driveway was level!

Okay, I see your point. I guess i take my shop floor for granted... good call theo

It still makes me laugh a little though

If this is a problem that started recently, then it's probably not castor.

No. I would not increase knuckle bearing preload to try to correct a wandering problem. I might tighten up my wheel bearings if I thought they were too loose. I might narrow up my toe-in. Do you even have a center arm with the Saginaw PS?
Other than those easy fixes, I might consider going to a professional front end guy and having castor and camber measured, toe-in too as long as there and just to double-check.
Howdy! I have had a hard time finding a shop that will do alignment work on a lifted Piggy. I did find one that will set it up and do all the readings for me for less than $50, and they will adjust the toe in if I want. Then I just look at the caster numbers and add/subtract shims to get the results I want. I usually run SOAs at 4 - 6 degrees. Mine is at 6, and it flys down the freeway at 75+ with no wandering at all. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom