full float conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got a friend who wants to go 6-lug with his 100, mainly to get a full float rear. Having spent some time under a 100 and an 80, it appears that the rear housings are nearly identical, the only difference being the spindles/hubs. Will an 80 series rear bolt right up to all of the 100 suspension, or is everything just slightly different?

As for the front, do any of the 6-lug hubs from any of the various cruisers or trucks over the years fit the spindles for the 100?

Thanks. Please no questions as to why he wants to do this, he sees the benefit and so do I, so its not a matter of should we, its a matter of how and what to use.

80 series axles are too narrow. But anything is possible!

80 axles are ~63.5" WMS to WMS, does anyone have a WMS to WMS measurement for the 100 rear end?

He must be going to do the next Silly Putty commercial to need FFA. :D

That's a costly change with little advantage FOR MOST APPLICATIONS. I didn't say ALL. :)

He must be going to do the next Silly Putty commercial to need FFA. :D

That's a costly change with little advantage FOR MOST APPLICATIONS. I didn't say ALL. :)

He has some crazy future plans for the thing. The extra strength of the FF, and the widespread selection of 6-lug wheels are two nice benefits. That, and real cruisers are supposed to have 6 lugs anyways.

I cant see this costing too much, I can pick up a whole FZJ80 rear for about $500 without a 3rd, and some front hubs cant cost more than a few hundred bucks.

I've seen a front SAS on a 100 using a FZJ78 front axle, so maybe the 78 housings are wider than the 80's?

...real cruisers are supposed to have 6 lugs anyways...

nice.

I guess that means that this is not a real Land Cruiser...

hzj_klappschlafdach_04.jpg

full float

A couple things here:
The 100 uses 32 spline bolt in axles, so there really isnt a strength benifit of the full float. Additionally you mentioned getting a housing without 3rd member. This wont work as you will need it to match the 30spline full float shafts. If your cruiser has 4.30 gears, they are not really (without custom mods) available for an 80 diff. As for the front hubs, they use different bearings on the 100 vs 80 as well. So it can be done, but not worth the time and money. The only real benifit would be more wheel choices, in which case you can just re-dril your existing axles, hubs, and rotors if you really wanted to.

The rear axle shafts on the 100 semi floater can be converted to 6 lug as well as redrilling the rotors. However the front is another matter. The 80 wheel hub does not fit the 100 spindle. We looked into this when we did the SAS swap.

You could also use 1" or so wheel adapters to get the 6-lug pattern, if you didn't want to go to the trouble of drilling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom