Project - Electrical Boost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

torfab

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.torfab.com
I just bought another optima red top, and 220 amp alternator last night, and I will be upgrading the electrical system on "Calico" my '69 vj40.

I'll be wiring the batteries with two 90 amp constant cycle solenoids, with dash switches so I can manually control the battery usage.

In my spending frenzy, I also picked up a new stereo, cb radio, and some waterproof speakers (my old stereo is useless, cb works half the time, and speakers broke off when I rolled).

My taurus fan, winch, fridge, and electric fuel pump seems to be too taxing for my current alternator and setup. Time for a long awaited upgrade! I'll keep you posted with some pics and possibly a writeup.

So, I finished this project tonight, and I made a few changes. I used a yellow top to control the winch and starter, then the red top for the cars needs (fan, efi, stereo, cb, lights).

Pics are here: gallery :: Calico

So my crazy idea of using high power solenoids did the trick on my project!

My 220 amp alternator and three solenoids (one spare) showed up from Mr UPS (AKA Yo Baby Daddy)

I tied everything up and tested my 3 way switch (off, batt 1, batt 2, both) and everything works fine. The starter and winch is controlled by the deep cycle (yes I broke down and went yellow), and the fan, accessories will be controlled by the red top optima (or whatever battery I choose with my twisty switch)

Next thing is to re-tune the holley pro-jection and I "should" (ehemm) be good to go!

This is the second HO alternator I've used on this rig, and the first one didn't pick up a charge until I hit 1200 rpm.

This alternator picks up a charge at 650 rpm, and it PINS the volt meter at 14.6v. The true test will be the next wheeling trip.

this is the alternator: eBay Motors: NEW CHEVY 220 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR ONE WIRE 65-85 (item 160229885440 end time Apr-13-08 18:19:31 PDT)

-Tor

Good stuff. I just bought a CS-130 from my local alternator shop. They had 4 amp output levels they sold.

stock 105

I was interested in theone wire 210 amp until they said they had had issues with it charging at idle. They said the 180 amp was a much better choice. Cost was around a dollar an amp.

I know yours is for a sbc but there is a version of the CS-130 that will fit right in to the stock location of a 2f with little modification.

From what I have found out it is for any Saturn made between 91-98ish.

Once my Mean Green 200 amp alternator turns on it has +14v output at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom