How many 80ers here with a oem head gasket! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, i am real curious as my rig only has 112k 96lx450, and of course with my budget i can't afford to shell out 4k for a hg fix. input is deeply appreciated- chow

There was a poll taken a while back you may want to search for. I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the failure rate is only about 10%. The best thing you can do is keep your cooling system in good shape. This includes upgrading the fan clutch if it hasn't been replaced. Look for a blue hub on it. If your cooling system is working properly, don't worry about it and enjoy the ride.

There was a poll taken a while back you may want to search for. I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the failure rate is only about 10%. The best thing you can do is keep your cooling system in good shape. This includes upgrading the fan clutch if it hasn't been replaced. Look for a blue hub on it. If your cooling system is working properly, don't worry about it and enjoy the ride.

I agree about the cooling system.
The best thing I think anyone could do to help protect their cooling system is RavenTai's temperture gauge fix. I did mine last week and discovered that my truck is actually running hot! I thought the coolong system was in great shape, but the fan clutch had never been changed. Quick call to Dan and the blue hub is on the way. (I was wondering why the A/C sucked...)

I think if everyone did that mod, or had a Scangauge, Dan would sell a new radiator and fan clutch to everyone with an 80 series. My truck ran cool after the mod until I loaded it for a week long trip and cranked up the hill to Tahoe at 75 mph. I realized it was not cooling that well in those extreme conditions. It now has a new radiator and fan clutch.

The other thing to consider, is just doing a radiator replacement at 100k with the fan clutch, and then don't worry about it.

well, I am currently in the process of replacing my headgasket. when I bought my cruiser 3 years ago I had the entire cooling system gone through-new radiator, new fan clutch, new thermostat...
it was new to me at 129k miles now at 173k, my headgastket blew.
someone wrote on another headgasket thread that all headgaskets are actively failing, I would agree with that statement.
and no, my cruiser never overheated during my ownership or prior to it blowing the hg.

Last edited:
well, I am currently in the process of replacing my headgasket. when I bought my cruiser 3 years ago I had the entire cooling system gone through-new radiator, new fan clutch, new thermostat...
it was new to me at 129k miles now at 173k, my headgastket blew.
someone wrote on another headgasket thread that all headgaskets are actively failing, I would agree with that statement.
and no, my cruiser never overheated during my ownership or prior to it blowing the hg.

Hmmm. My rig's PO said he had the cooling system flushed religously, even had the receipts. Here's what Prestone Long Life will do to your engine...

attachment.php

attachment.php

152,001 miles. still original. green freeze.

thanks guys, input deeply appreicated. i am running green freeze and was running if i should runnin toyota long life instead, my fluid is green as new after a year now. i was told if it is green stay with green, thnx gents-chow

111k now and still original. had the system flushed last year and still original fan clutch. My 93 blew the HG at 186k.

136K and still original. Red coolant with new, blue hub clutch, original water pump and a original super clean radiator. I also installed the JDM electric fan in front to keep the AC running cool at idle and to help with cooling when pulling my camper. I highly recommend the JDM fan. See CDan or Mott about the fan.

190+k miles original gasket,

RT knock's on wood

176k + original HG.Has the green it it now,I am going to flush it good then put the toyota red in.New hoses,PHH,and all the other hoses I can change this will be a good time.
What else? water pump,fan clutch?
How much for the blue hub fan clutch $$ ?
New raditator $$ ?
I want to do this right,I have the hoses,PHH & red coolant all ready to go,guess I should have started my own thread!
I am going to be towing my tent trailer alot this summer,so this all needs to be done soon.
Thanks,John

Hello everyone-

I have a 1995 LC with 129,000 miles on it, so far no problems with it overheating. How much is it to redo or replace a headgasket and what else should I replace if I plan on keeping my LC for another 5 years. I also plan to tow a 23' Airstream Trailer and have towed a 19 ft fish and ski since I owned it for about 11 years now. Any information would deeply be appreciated. Thanks again.
Living in Phoenix,AZ

Mazz

Mazz

149K and original.

I have little faith, and agree that they are all actively failing. I have the new gasket kit and radiator in the basement for the past two years... Also have the modded temp gauge and modded fan clutch. IMHO, the temp gaue mod is the single best mod for price.

I think if everyone did that mod, or had a Scangauge, Dan would sell a new radiator and fan clutch to everyone with an 80 series. My truck ran cool after the mod until I loaded it for a week long trip and cranked up the hill to Tahoe at 75 mph. I realized it was not cooling that well in those extreme conditions. It now has a new radiator and fan clutch.

The other thing to consider, is just doing a radiator replacement at 100k with the fan clutch, and then don't worry about it.

This is the truth. I just turned a 100K so my original hg doesn't count for much, but after buying the scangauge and taking note of the temps and then later doing a complete ground up overhaul of the cooling system, replacing literally everything, some because it needed it and some just because, I can't believe the difference.

181 degrees is my standard temp under normal conditions, moderal ambient temps. If the ambient temps get really hot, I can see as much as 184 and if driving conditions get worse like low speed heavy off roading or long steep grades, maybe up to the low 190s. When it's cold outside, it's not usual to be in the upper 170s. I think 181 is the sweet spot for a properly cooled 80 under normal conditions.

If you're running in the 190s or hotter all the time, I think something is wrong. 120 degree days, super long steep hills, low speed off roading and towing will all add to the stress of the cooling system, but I'm talking about normal driving, normal conditions.

Hmmmmm....me thinks Im gonna do the Blue Fan clutch mod now. My AC has been sucking and I live in Colorado. As for me...too early to tell on the HG, but so far 145K and no issues.

97 Cruiser 165,000 original HG (Toyota Red).

Keeping my fingers crossed...and staying on Dan's good side.

97, factory HG afaik, 163K, toy red. no cooling issues whatsoever. ac line has sprung a leak at the condensor fitting though...what exactly does the blue fan clutch do over an oem one?

All of them are original HG's. Granted the 03 only has 70K miles, and the 40 is at 84K, but the others range in mileage from 220K in the 83 FJ60 to 250K in the 94. Water pumps, thermostats and radiators are a different story though, all 3 of the 3FE's have had those changed. The fan clutch is often overlooked, but I have a new one in the 91 and so does the 94, but that was for a/c purposes only, the truck may run cooler, but it could have been skipped if weren't for a/c vent temps.

Upgrade all you want, but stock works just fine, and some of you don't even live where it's hot!:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom