My 86 4runner dd and weekend toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of wheeling in a fullsize truck I decided to down size.I have a family so my 86 4runner is what I got.After driving it for a couple of years with 3" body lift and some 31's. I decided to go with some 33-10.50-15 and some 488's an air locker and a lock right up front had it like that for a couple years.

In May of last year the project started pulled it in the garage and cut the front ifs out and went to town. I don't have any pics of the build :frown: but have a bunch after the build.It took from Memorial to Labor day weekend to build, with four nights of going to bed when the sun was coming up. The neghbors just love me :D .It took me a lot longer then what I expected with a new baby and work not much time to realy work on it.Oh ya forgot after working al day in 100+ temps the last thing I wanted to do was sit in the 100+ degree garage with a torch and welder. So like I said alot of late nights. This is the ending project wel not end just yet still have other things I want to do with it. I have some rock sliders,rock ram that will go on in the next month.

img02462ha3.jpg

img0036ig8.jpg

img0033xa3.jpg

img0038we8.jpg

Then one shot with it on the 39.5's
img0269kt7.jpg

Heres what I have done to it. 5" springs fr and rr,529's /air lockers fr and rr,30 spline Longfeild's,hy steer w/six stud knuckle's,14" hoops w/14" travel shocks up fr and 12" travel mx6 shocks in the rr.The motor is stock the trans is stock it has dual cases both rebuilt w/2.28's in the fr and 4.7's in the rr case and heavy duty skid plate for the cases. All my parts are from Trail Gear exept the mx6's they are from my garage. It sits on 36-14.50-15 TSL radial Super Swamper mounted on A/E 0589 wheels.I have a set of Pro Comp wheels that are waiting for bead locks. Also I what to build an exo cage for it and a good interior cage that covers my little one.

0417081155jb9.jpg

I will put up more pics as it go's along with some more parts added on and some action shots.

Really nice!!! You have some bad parts too!!! I love it!

Thank you knixen I put alot of work,time in this thing.Much like yours you have an awsome rig also.Maybe next weekend we can hookup and wheel :lol:.

Thank you knixen I put alot of work,time in this thing.Much like yours you have an awsome rig also.Maybe next weekend we can hookup and wheel :lol:.

:lol::lol:If you only knew how much parts cost here... The sas-kit set me back about 4000usd...

Just bring your truck, and we will wheel!!! :cheers: (I recommend a set of AT tires for the trip, and you might want to count at least two days of driving... :hillbilly:)

You'll probably want a snorkel too...... :D

Very nice Rig RR, got any pics of it on it's side? Hehehe

It nothing specail on the inside. I will need to do some house cleaning :eek: before any pic are taken it filthy.If you saw the inside right now you would I would lose my sticky and you would prodbly ban me for a couple days :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Nice build man! I had a white '84 runner... loved it...

You are planning an exo and internal cage? Why not just a solid exo, should keep the occupants safe as well as your sheetmetal...

I had a friend that did a full exo. It was nice and al but the only thing I didn't like was the bars you have to run from one side to the other. Also he cut the top for the bars to go through and lost a lot of room for some losing the room isn't a big deal but for me it is.

So if I do an exo and an inner then I wont lose any room.
Because I can use short peices to tie the to together to make it sturdy. That so the sides bars have the support they need when you lay them against something. Thats why I want to do an inner and out cage.

Also started my rock sliders today :clap:.

Very cool looking Runner...little advice from experience. If you exo it make sure you put flanges so you can remove the cage. Mine isn't and i really makes working on some things tough. And really the only cross bar that gets in the way is the one across the bottom of the windshield. But you could probably run that through the engine compartmen and have it come out through the fenders.

IMG_0216.jpg

Very cool looking Runner...little advice from experience. If you exo it make sure you put flanges so you can remove the cage. Mine isn't and i really makes working on some things tough. And really the only cross bar that gets in the way is the one across the bottom of the windshield. But you could probably run that through the engine compartmen and have it come out through the fenders.

IMG_0216.jpg

nice looking 4runner.What the problem with the lower windsheild bar?I see you live in Fresno where abouts and what are plans for Memorial day weekend?

Biggest problem on mine is visability. between the windshield bar and the stinger i lose a lot of sight forward when i am climbing up things. Memorial day i think we are cruising up to Bald..camp and play on some obstacles...how about you? Oh, and i am over off of Dakota and Peach...right by the airport. Are you in any of the clubs up here?

Last edited:
Biggest problem on mine is visability. between the windshield bar and the stinger i lose a lot of sight forward when i am climbing up things. Memorial day i think we are cruising up to Bald..camp and play on some obstacles...how about you? Oh, and i am over off of Dakota and Peach...right by the airport. Are you in any of the clubs up here?

Not to far from me I am at willow and bullard.Going to Bald on sat and then up to Wishon for the night.No not in ant clubs I dont like the club thing theres always to much drama so I just wheel with friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom