NO front brakes / NO fluid during bleed - I've searched and searched for the answer (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.grantsloop.com
Okay, I have searched this until I am blue in the face! :frown: I cannot find the answer and I can't be the only person this has ever happened to. I took my calipers completely off of the truck when I replaced the front pads. When I put them back on, I now have no front brakes whatsoever. When jacked up with the brake pedal pushed all the way down, the wheels still spin freely. I bled the rear brakes just fine. The front ones have no fluid coming out of them when I try to bleed them. It has been suggested that I perhaps put them on the wrong sides when I reinstalled them. I don't believe that is the case as the bleeder nipples are on top. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. it is possible u emptied out the master cylinder and it now has an air pocket

2. double check your bleeders and make sure they are not clogged

3. if all else fails fill master break the bleaders loose and walk away for 30 or 40 minutes they will eventually self bleed if there is a pocket.

4. worst case your master took a s*** and it is internally bypassing ( I dought it thow)

1. it is possible u emptied out the master cylinder and it now has an air pocket

2. double check your bleeders and make sure they are not clogged

3. if all else fails fill master break the bleaders loose and walk away for 30 or 40 minutes they will eventually self bleed if there is a pocket.

4. worst case your master took a **** and it is internally bypassing ( I dought it thow)

x2 fill the master up and open your bleeders walk away and fluid should flow. if no fluid flows check the lines for any crimps if that hard line to the caliper gets in a bind when you screw the line back in you can twist the line internally effectively sealing it off. i almost did that when i put my new calipers on.

just a thought

good luck

when you replaced the calipers and disconnected the lines did fluid come out? If you disconnect the lines at the calipers does fluid come out if yes than problem is with calipers. Take the bleeder screw completely out(it just unscrews) how about now? process of elimination also I beleive on a 60/62 there is a proportioning valve to adjust brakes for weight of truck

Okay, I took out the bleeders and replaced them with new ones. One of the old ones was obstructed and the other one was stripped due to PO using regular wrench instead of brake line wrench. I left them completely open for an hour before putting the new ones in. NO FLUID! No, there is no fluid coming out when disconnecting the lines from the calipers. One other quick note: Prior to this whole fiasco, I was having problems with the front brakes locking up every time I drove it. I "THINK" that was due to an air bubble but I'm not sure. Nevertheless, I am not having that problem any more since I disconnected the calipers. It's just now that I have absolutely NO front brakes. I'm pulling my hair out! (what little I have left. :) )

you probably broke a chunk of crud loose.

Fill the cup
Start working your way back from the brake line T on your axle (flex line to axle)
Figure otu where the clog is and either clear it out, or better, replace the offending unit..

A Co-worker suggested blowing out the lines with the air compressor. Is this a good idea and if so, is there anything I should know prior to starting?

if your pedal won't blow the lines out, the compressor wont.

Start disconnecting the lines working your way back to the master.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it! After 2 1/2 hours, the drivers side started to leak fluid. However, the passenger side did not. When I disconnected the line to the caliper, I immediately got fluid so I would say it is down to the passenger side caliper has an obstruction. How do I get it out? Thanks again.

DblTap

if your caliper is clogged you pretty much need to either rebuild it or replace it.

My vote is replace.

I would at least try closing all of the functioning lines/bleeders and leaving the offender open while pumping the pedal for awhile.

Okay, this is where I'm at. brake fluid comes out of the line going into the caliper when I disconnect it and I can blow air and residual fluid out of one opening on the caliper by by blowing compressed air into the other opening on the caliper. I have left the bleeder screw out of the caliper for a couple of hours and still no fluid. Did that on the other side and fluid trickled out find. Soooooo, air is going through the passenger side caliper fine but fluid is not for some reason. Any idears????????

I forgot to mention, the pedal is hard even when the bleeder is out on the offending caliper.

Disregard! I FINALLY got it!! Blowing the air through the caliper must have pushed the blockage through. I let it set with the bleeder out some more after than and fluid FINALLY came through! WoooooHooooo! What a PITA! Thanks to all who offered their assistance......

Last edited:
I just now read your post and think you may want to have a close look at your flex lines, i have seen them collapse from the inside and not let fluid pass, they can also create a condition were the brakes won't release.

I just now read your post and think you may want to have a close look at your flex lines, i have seen them collapse from the inside and not let fluid pass, they can also create a condition were the brakes won't release.
Thanks for your help. My buddy said the same thing. I just "THOUGHT" I had finally gotten it figured out. I just spent two hours and three bottles of brake fluid trying to get all of the air out of the lines. After all of that, I STILL had fluid shooting out of the farthest wheel each time I would crack open the bleeder. I have new lines. I am going to go put them on now and KEEP BLEEDING I guess!

how are you bleeding your brakes?

how are you bleeding your brakes?
I'm taking the cap off of the master cylinder, and then going back to the passenger side rear wheel to start. I have my wife pump the hell out of them until they are hard and then hold them down while I open the bleeder valve, let the fluid/air shoot out and then close the valve. She then lets up on the brake pedal and we repeat the process.

all other bleeder valves are closed right?
Everything else hooked up?

Bleed order on a FJ60 (NO LSPV) is 1. Driver side rear (U.S. Driver side) 2. Pass. side rear 3. Driver side front 4. Pass side front.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom