Must...have...mods.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
There are downsides to buying a super clean 93,000 mile trucks. No prior mods!

I'm freaking out here about getting this truck where I want it (I guess this probably never ends!). I think my impatience is going to drive me to throw plastic at this and get a 850/860 lift, hanna sliders and a slee sb bumber. Then I'll be happy...then I'll stop reading this site everyday...I swear :lol:

Just kidding, but I think the lift is in the near future. Gotta convince my landlord to let me raise my carport 6" first though. Which reminds me, I just got my silicone PHH and starter rebuild stuff so I'll be tackling that sometime in the next couple months if anyone wants to come watch the process (read pain and suffering) before they do theirs :)

Last edited:
awww, quit yur whining.. j/k.. sounds like you have it all figured out which way you want to go. cool.
I found the PHH really isn't that bad. Tricky yes, but not too bad.
Good luck.

Buy sliders early.......................trust me on this, I learned early and the hard way......

It's taken me 4 years to get my truck where it is and outside a couple of minor items, I'm done...famous last words.

If I had semi unlimited funds, I'd drive to Colorado and have Christo install his 6" lift and then regear.

Seriously, the only things I'd still consider:

Wild West Fab rear quarter panel protectors.
Ham Radio if/when I ever get around to taking the test. I've read Gordon West's book, but it's now been awhile so I'll have to reread before the test.

It's taken me 4 years to get my truck where it is and outside a couple of minor items, I'm done...famous last words.

If I had semi unlimited funds, I'd drive to Colorado and have Christo install his 6" lift and then regear.

Seriously, the only things I'd still consider:

Wild West Fab rear quarter panel protectors.
Ham Radio if/when I ever get around to taking the test. I've read Gordon West's book, but it's now been awhile so I'll have to reread before the test.

I think I told you this, but I like your rigs set up a lot. There's always things you could do, but you've got everything you need...I think. Dude, the HAM is the cheapest mod of all I think! $14 bones for the test (which is designed to let newbies get into the hobby) and a radio. I think you could swing it :D

awww, quit yur whining.. j/k.. sounds like you have it all figured out which way you want to go. cool.
I found the PHH really isn't that bad. Tricky yes, but not too bad.
Good luck.

Lots of good stuff on this site, so that has helped kinda zone in on what I'd like.

Glad to hear about the PHH. I feel pretty confident, but stuff will always come up.

yeah right. Trust me dude, it never ends. Take it from someone that is a modificationaholic. :bang:

I think you're trying to build one of these...though it may not be much of an upgrade since your rig + trailer probably can carry more stuff! Be nice to get the diesel though ;)
800px-Unimog_u500_dakar_2006.jpg

Those are bad arse trucks, big bucks I bet.

Yeah mods are vicious cycle :D one thing leads to another. Tires going to look small with a lift ;)

One of the 1st mod I did was the slider: you’ve seen mine. DIY will save you a bunch on those. Price of steel has gone way up but I recall it was < $100 in materials back when.

They may not be a pretty as the Hanna one’s but they get the job done, proven on the ‘Con, Moab, Etc.

Think I’m going to add a rear kick out to mine in the back like the metal tech design. Anyway, when I get back for CruiseMoab going to be working on them, drop me a PM next month and I might be able to help you build a set.

I bought my coils used off another Mud member and went with some Procomp 9000 shocks on the 3 for 4 deal. Added the caster bushings and some Slee spacers and I really like my low 3” budget lift ~ < $400 total.

There some ways others ways to save a bunch with DIY like my rear 4x4 labs. The Slee SB is the only part I purchased complete/new but it was worth it. The stock front bumper will go along way, corners are first to go :lol: The rear is more of a liability in the rocks.

Brian

get a 851/860 lift, hanna sliders and a slee sb bumber.

Are you sure this is what you want? I just installed the 850/863 (non-J) and the E shocks and its almost perfect. It sits a little stinkbug, but I had some extra gear in there over the weekend and it was perfect. If you plan on a rear bumper, you may want to consider these. I did net ~ 3" though.

Are you sure this is what you want? I just installed the 850/863 (non-J) and the E shocks and its almost perfect. It sits a little stinkbug, but I had some extra gear in there over the weekend and it was perfect. If you plan on a rear bumper, you may want to consider these. I did net ~ 3" though.

whoops, I am wrong, 850/860 is what I was looking at. I wont be putting a rear bumper on for a while, dont have people ride in the 3rd row and rarely ever carry more than 2-300lbs back there.

I just got my silicone PHH and starter rebuild stuff so I'll be tackling that sometime in the next couple months if anyone wants to come watch the process (read pain and suffering) before they do theirs :)

I have had my silicone phh for over a year now so I should probably join you.... I read you can also do the fuel filter along with the starter contacts while you are in there.

I will get on ordering those things from Dan so I will be 100% ready.

Do the heavies on the rear! You won't regret it for a minute.

whoops, I am wrong, 850/860 is what I was looking at. I wont be putting a rear bumper on for a while, dont have people ride in the 3rd row and rarely ever carry more than 2-300lbs back there.

Have you looked into Frankie's lift? That's what I am drooling over....

Hey Brad

I got an OME lift in stock, i would love to move! :D

Email me at: kevin@bajaoverland.com

I am in San Diego!

Brad, I haven't bought the PHH kit yet, but I will soon.

I took a look at mine and it looks like it's in good shape, but I'll be doing it along with a coolant flush real soon. I might need to borrow the stuff you used to do your drain/refill. I also need to drop off that stuff you left behind.

Sell the Jeep yet?

Do the heavies on the rear! You won't regret it for a minute.

X2...I love it! I just put an inch spacer in the front (to offset bumper weight) and all is good.

Smit

Where you at? I THINK I still have mine laying around from my 80, and now have no use for it.

Free to whoever wants to come get it in SD

I took a look at mine and it looks like it's in good shape, but I'll be doing it along with a coolant flush real soon. I might need to borrow the stuff you used to do your drain/refill. I also need to drop off that stuff you left behind.

Sell the Jeep yet?

Not too much of a kit, just a little blue hose.

I thought I only left an oil catch pan and a 5 gal bucket?

Sure, the little pvc pressure gauge thing I rigged up? Maybe we can do a PHH/flush day. I may be buying a new radiator as well, so I'll need to drop that in as well, though that sounds like a lot for one day.

Parasitic jeep is still around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom