22re problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
okay guys i've had this truck for a while now. It started having problems in the fall but i just put it away for the winter and forgot all about it. Now thats its back in my offroading season i need to fix it. It all started with the truck not wanting to idle. Then it slowly started to sputter under acceleration. After that it would only run correctly with no load on it (in neutral or spinning in the snow) after that it started to just die every once in a while. Then it would only run for a few minutes or even seconds some times and it seemed like when it warmed up it died. Now it wont even start. I scanned the truck and it read that the tps, maf, and coolant sensors were reading no power, all these were brand new so i replaced the ecu and that didnt fix anything...At this point im at a loss and this truck is NOT going into a shop. You guys have any ideas? the truck is an 88 xtra cab 22re 5spd.

whats the miles and has the t.c been done?

um its got 145, xxx miles and if you mean transfer case...then i have nno idea, how would that affect this.

timing chain..... he means timming chain... possibly could have jumped some teeth

yes thats exactly what I mean, also the the timing doesn't necessarily have to jump in order for it to be far enough out to spit sputter and stall, you could.....whoa let me stop here and say: I.M.E HOW it was driven by the P.O can translate into wear, driven hard, and its like adding another 100k, driving Miss Daisy and it'll be like brand new, I have seen chains WITH OUT broken guides into the 200's.

Miles does NOT necessarily = TC condition across the board.

With that said, I've seen the snubber come off the tensioner, guides break and cause moderate to severe slack, lots of things you name it!

pulled one one time with no tensioner, the plunger and spring were in the bottom of the pan :eek:

Last edited:
Changed the fuel filter lately? It's a bear to change so maybe it's been "ignored".

Any condensation in the tank? Could be trying to run on water.

fuel filter was the first thing i change. How did i not pick up on tc meaning timing chain, wow i new i was having a rough day but wow ha. Maybe ill pull it apart tonight.

fuel filter was the first thing i change. How did i not pick up on tc meaning timing chain, wow i new i was having a rough day but wow ha. Maybe ill pull it apart tonight.

You're going to pull the fan, water pump, and timing chain cover before you determine if it's even getting spark and fuel? :confused:

It could be a fuel delivery problem. Plenty of other fuel components besides the filter.

Maybe there's no spark since you noticed sensors seemingly not working.

Just seems bassackwards to take the engine apart at this point, but that's just me. :)

you can get an idea of the TC's condition by removing the valve cover and getting a really good light. Look as far as you can and GENTLY move the guides with a pry bar or something GENTLY!!!!!

Also, tap on them injectors!....You can also drain your gas or just the bottom, then put it in something you can see through and inspect it for water.

i wasnt going to pull the the entire thing apart...only the valve cover...its getting good spark, I am unsure if its getting good gas flow or not. What would be the eaiest way to check?

thanks alot guys, i really appreciate the help

You're going to pull the fan, water pump, and timing chain cover before you determine if it's even getting spark and fuel? :confused:

What he said. Usually the issue is lower down on the complexity level. I haven't seen fuel pump listed yet. Usually you will find oil in the radiator if the timing chain has gone south.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom