Tried to cut my fendors..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to cut my fenders last night. Things were going well after tig welding up the holes on my roof where my roof rack was....I didn't even have to take out my headliner. Next were my fenders. I was going to give them a good 3 inch trim and was prepared to do the fab work to the inner well area. Everything is ready, so go to take the fender off. Unbolt all the bolts on top and bottom, open the door and get that bolt too. Shortly I realize that the corner turn signal is going to have to come out. I take off the grill and start to try to take out the headlight to get to the turn signal. Take 3 bolts off and realize that there is a bolt holding it on that very well may be impossible to get to and unbolt. I think to myself, hmmm, there must be an easier way to do this. I end up turning every bolt and screw I can get my hands on and still nothing. I literally spent about an hour trying to get the headlight or corner turn signal out so I get my fender off. :doh:

How, on gods green earth, do you get these out?

on my 95 iirc its a screw or two from the top with the hood open then gently pull the turn signal(corner light) straight out towards you. be careful not to twist or pull at an angle.:doh: anyway, im not even sure if that was what you were asking. But good luck anyway with cutting your fenders. How bout some pics when youre done.
Paul

This is a serious "DOH" moment for you I bet. You just unscrew 1-2 screws and pull straight forward on the turn signal. No need to remove the grille, headlight, or anything else.

This one has actually thrown me for a loop. I need actual pictures or some kind of an explanation, because I can't for the life of me figure out how to access these screws. I see them, but there no humanly possible way to get a tool in there turn them. The chiltons manual is of no use as well. I think it even thinks this is too simple to mention. I am missing something.

I consider myself alright with a wrench...two engine swaps under the belt. After this, I feel like its my first day! :frown:

my camera is out of juice but i think if you search "blinker removal" or "headlight removal" you will find something. you will get there im sure of it. good luck
Paul

You are thinking to much.. Mr. T would not make it that hard...

1. Open hood take off the light bezel.

2. Remove the obvious screws that you can get to. Don't worry about that one that has you :bang:

3. Now pull gently straight forward and you are golden.

it is ruber mounted...

Stolen from the Slee link above:

tz_ind_1.jpg

After that screw is removed, grab the entire signal housing and slide it forward. It helps to put your finger tips right at the rear edge of the signal housing. There is a 'barbed' lug that fits into a rubber grommet that you are working against.

I literally spent about an hour trying to get the headlight or corner turn signal out so I get my fender off. :doh:
How, on gods green earth, do you get these out?

Don't feel too stupid, I am a new 80 owner as well, and went through exactly this a few weeks ago while changing out my headlight wiring lead. Could not figure it out either, and know the EXACT screw you could not reach. Bugger!:censor:

You've obviously never done the PHH.

You are right! I am not looking forward to it either! I have fairly big hands to. So I am going to have ask the wife " honey think you could take the kids to grandma's for the

weekend" :flipoff2: Thanks for reminding me.

Us PNWer's have a little more trouble with the small stuff than the rest of the country. I know just how you feel, those markers threw me for a loop the first time. :hmm:

Us PNWer's have a little more trouble with the small stuff than the rest of the country. I know just how you feel, those markers threw me for a loop the first time. :hmm:

Tell me about it. You guys are the mostest coolest! I let out a couple of "f*ckin' sh*ts" when I just pulled them off. Thanks again ;)

Stolen from the Slee link above:

tz_ind_1.jpg

After that screw is removed, grab the entire signal housing and slide it forward. It helps to put your finger tips right at the rear edge of the signal housing. There is a 'barbed' lug that fits into a rubber grommet that you are working against.

He is right on with this explaination. I have taken the grill, both headlights, parking lights, and turn signals out trying to locate a bad wire. Both my parking light and low beam went out along with a flickering interior light all happening the same night. Later found out two blown bulbs and a loose door latch. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom