OEM PS on a 66' FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
The wife is pretty hard-core about getting PS installed on he 45. I've swore up and down that I won't be doing anything permenent, so while I am a major fan of a clean Saginaw setup, its out. I have an OEM 40 series PS setup I could install, I think by using a Marks Offroad pulley and a custome pump (mabey a Saginaw pump on a head style mount) that I'll only have to permenently modify the steering column. I've got a couple spares of those, I could save the OE one for a future true resto and modify a second one with a firewall plate and a column bearings. Thoughts from those that have done it?

Interesting timing. I have a work party planned for THIS WEEKEND to finally put Saginaw steering on the lwb45. I should have pics and a writeup next week.;)

You doing a Saginaw steering box too? I've done those on 45's :D I've never done a OE 40 box with a Saginaw pump though. What are you using for a pump mount?

You doing a Saginaw steering box too? I've done those on 45's :D I've never done a OE 40 box with a Saginaw pump though. What are you using for a pump mount?

I built my own mount on the passenger side motor mount. I have wrestled with the mounting configuration for several years, and mocked up several other styles and this one was the cleanest. :)

I built my own mount on the passenger side motor mount. I have wrestled with the mounting configuration for several years, and mocked up several other styles and this one was the cleanest. :)

Used your snazzy crank pully I presume?

I think I could make a pump bracket easy enough :cool:

Used your snazzy crank pully I presume?

I think I could make a pump bracket easy enough :cool:

Looks like you're gonna get to see it up close NEXT WEEK! Plans to take the 40 to CM'08 are fading, and the 45 has PS in place. Sooooo.......

Kurt, I've been giving this some more thought, and I'm not sure OE is a good idea on a pre-69 truck with the early model center arm. I don't think I've even seen it tried before.

IMO the open channel frame on those early models is barely adequate for the manual steering system, as is the center arm itself. I don't think either would hold up well to a mini or OE pump configuration.

And I especially wouldn't take that chance if it were anyone but me driving. Know what I mean.

We can mull this over the campfire next week.

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom