Winching ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a winch and have used it countless times but, honestly, I have no idea what the short four foot chain, with the triangle on one end and a hook on the other, is used for.

Is it called a drag chain? If so is it meant to drag the winch line out from the winch spool?

Can someone enlighten me please?

You mean this: Taken from CCOT:

# Chain - Delta Tow Strap ChainpadHeavy Duty 3/8" Delta Tow Strap Chain
# Attach Clevis Hook to Vehicle Frame and route Tow Stap through Delta Hook.
# Delta Ring Allows for Hard Pulls without cutting Tow Strap.
# Delta Chain & Strap has many creative applications.
# A Must for any Trail Gear Bag
# Delta Chain is rated 16,000 lbs.
DeltaChainDisplyed.jpg

You mean this: Taken from CCOT:

# Chain - Delta Tow Strap ChainpadHeavy Duty 3/8" Delta Tow Strap Chain
# Attach Clevis Hook to Vehicle Frame and route Tow Stap through Delta Hook.
# Delta Ring Allows for Hard Pulls without cutting Tow Strap.
# Delta Chain & Strap has many creative applications.
# A Must for any Trail Gear Bag
# Delta Chain is rated 16,000 lbs.

BINGO... Thanks!

I still don't quite get it.
dunce.gif
It is in all the recovery gear bags but what "creative" uses are there? There is already a hook on the winch line. You use the snatch strap for vehicle-to-vehicle pulls. When do you need it when nothing else would just as safely work? Is it like a recovery point - a place to attach a snatch strap? I'm confused. :confused:

I still don't quite get it.
dunce.gif
It is in all the recovery gear bags but what "creative" uses are there? There is already a hook on the winch line. You use the snatch strap for vehicle-to-vehicle pulls. When do you need it when nothing else would just as safely work? Is it like a recovery point - a place to attach a snatch strap? I'm confused. :confused:

yes, you could use it to tie around the frame and then connect the strap or winch line to it. You don't want to do just a loop with the winch line around the frame cuz you'll damage the wire rope. IOW, yes it could be used as an improvised recovery point. Not a great idea of course.

I am yet to personally use mine but my understanding, on a vehicle without a suitable recovery point you could attach this to the frame and run your tow strap through the triangle part. Rather than wrap your strap directly around the vehicles frame. Possibly cutting it?

Or as most of use probably have more often encountered, eliminating the removal of said strap after recovery and is now a bitch to get off.

Generally I don't like to attempt recovery of a vehicle without a suitable anchor. When helping out a stranger I normally hand them the strap and say "attached this to what ever you want pulled out, but I don't guarantee the rest of the vehicle will follow"

snip

Generally I don't like to attempt recovery of a vehicle without a suitable anchor. When helping out a stranger I normally hand them the strap and say "attached this to what ever you want pulled out, but I don't guarantee the rest of the vehicle will follow"

:eek: with a snatch strap that also means you will likely get that part in the back of your truck... I would not strap out somebody who does not have a good recovery point, period. Winch maybe.

:eek: with a snatch strap that also means you will likely get that part in the back of your truck... I would not strap out somebody who does not have a good recovery point, period. Winch maybe.

Well I do obviously look at what someone connects to. I've made people rethink their mistakes on more than one occasion. The main point is to make the other person also responsible for any damage to their vehicle. I will not risk damage to mine for some tourist up here skiing on vacation.

I have two clevis type hooks attached to each other with a very short length of chain just for those vehicles w/o a solid recovery point.

G'day, "drag chains" are meant to drag logs and trees (mainly), off the track after storms/ winds etc. Saves your fragile straps from being dragged on the ground and damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom