Steering shaft Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clutchee

I'm fun sized!
Threads
Folks we got dad a 40 this weekend....so far thing runs great....327 & turbo 350 work.

Steering is GM tilt column to a Saginaw box.

While checking things over noticed this: where the column goes to the steering shaft looks like a union but the union has a rubber sticking out......is something worn or this normal:confused:

Wanting dad to be safe & noticed this...

Tell me you thoughts.....:eek:
IMG_2452[1].jpg
IMG_2453[1].jpg

Rag joint

Somebody took "rag joint" a little too literal?

Doesn't look normal to me. Is there play in the wheel/column? Safety screw and safety wire through the connection?

Somebody took "rag joint" a little too literal?

Doesn't look normal to me. Is there play in the wheel/column? Safety screw and safety wire through the connection?

Steering is tight....no play, looks like inside of the of where the rubber is possibly some type of ball joint.

Looks like the rubber from the anti-vibration joint is failing from all the oil and goop inside the joint. The joint is stock GM and supposed to have rubber inside but not working out like that.

IMHO that joint is being used at too much of an angle in that application. I'd recommend a u-joint style joint like from Flaming River. Flaming River also offers a u-joint deal with anti-vibration features. The joints are not cheap but then a crashed Cruiser isn't either. Summit or Jegs have them...

Nick

Looks like the rubber from the anti-vibration joint is failing from all the oil and goop inside the joint. The joint is stock GM and supposed to have rubber inside but not working out like that.

IMHO that joint is being used at too much of an angle in that application. I'd recommend a u-joint style joint like from Flaming River. Flaming River also offers a u-joint deal with anti-vibration features. The joints are not cheap but then a crashed Cruiser isn't either. Summit or Jegs have them...

Nick

Thats the answer I'm lookin for.....was kinda thinkin that the rubber & goop was not a good sign but honestly have not delt with this before....I'm a 60/80 fellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom