Building a rear cross member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
started this weekend 4/5/08 . Will finish next
cruisercrossmember 001.jpg
cruisercrossmember 003.jpg
cruisercrossmember 004.jpg

Why/how did you find it necessary to need this?

I do like the integral t-case saver.

It appears to block the porton of the speedo drive where the cable comes out??? I guess a speedometer isn't important.

Show some pics of your trac bar.

I have a 350 in front of the h42 with a downey bell housing and needed more support for the tranny as i am not using the bellhousing mounts. Thanks for the + input

Gotcha. So this is just an alternate take on the standard rear V8 mount. Besides incorporating the TC saver, what advantage do you feel it provides?

What about not being able to use the speedometer?

Again, please show some pics of your track bar.

Nice job. I like the design, I've never seen a setup like this, Kudos!
I'm curious about your aluminum cover cap on the t-case, what's that about? Is that part of a conversion or something?

Nice job. I like the design, I've never seen a setup like this, Kudos!
I'm curious about your aluminum cover cap on the t-case, what's that about? Is that part of a conversion or something?

It's an aluminum mounting flange cover that Downey used to sell.

For a second I thought there was no real reason for such part but now that it have a function and a prepose to service I see the rational. More Cruiser knowlegde for trivia ... lol

The rig has a Tbi 350 and the cover is for the vss and reluctor ring. As for the speedo cable I dont need it I am using a electronic speedo from summit in conjuction with my vss.

Gotcha. So this is just an alternate take on the standard rear V8 mount. Besides incorporating the TC saver, what advantage do you feel it provides?

What about not being able to use the speedometer?

I have done a lot of research on building crossmembers . I am one who likes to tinker and build my own stuff instead of buying other peoples ideas and designs. As far as the case saver goes I took some of advance adapters t/c saver and there rear crossmember and started building one similar. Then I realized the torque load is amplified by the length of the mounting arms. By puting the rubber mount closer to the centerline of the t/c it reduces the torque load on the t/c and relies more on the rubber mount to distribute the load. I hope I made sense of my reasonings. I may be wrong. And just rambaling.

As requested . I Know the problems associated with attaching to the center cross member but rest assured I did reinforce it. I drove a piece of sc 40 black iron into the member with a BFH and welded securly to the existing member. Also I drilled through the member and welded my threaded bung through the member. And will follow up with a large nut. And now for the pics.
norma22408 001.jpg
norma22408 002.jpg
norma22408 003.jpg

Aprox 8 hr . would have been 2 days but my brother was helping cut and grind While I did other things(Drink beer) We worked in shifts.

Last edited:
Aprox 8 hr . would have been 2 days but my brother was helping cut and grind While I did other things(Drink beer) We worked in shifts.

Now that's work ethic! Will have to mull over the fact yor integrated the top component of the t-case saver with the rest of the cross member attachment - can't see any negative aspects of it, but also can't see any pro's - just looks kinda odd, might just have to get used to the different way of thinking...

Sputty. Dont reply so close to me. My cruiser is not finished I needed a cruiser wheeling pic and if you study my avitar you might reconize it. (volkswagon hill Alpha pit)

Creativity is the key to my low budget junk yard cruiser. As I have 3 kind and a medioker job. That I hate.

The rig has a Tbi 350 and the cover is for the vss and reluctor ring. As for the speedo cable I dont need it I am using a electronic speedo from summit in conjuction with my vss.
Actually if you have a TBI motor you need a 2 pulse VSS that is driven off the spedo cable. The alum. casting on the back of your T.C. is used to house a 40 pulse reluctor ring and VSS for newer motors (your TBI should not need it). Your electronic spedo should require a 4 pulse AC or sine wave signal. This then would require use of our 2 pulse VSS and use of our Frequency Module to convert the 2 pulse square wave DC to 4 pulse sine wave AC.
Go ahead and PM me if all I've done is confuse you.

I think you just opened a big can O worms. I discussed this with a dowey rep 2 months ago when I put this motor in my cruiser. This a 93 tbi 350 And I was informed that I needed the 4 pulse vss to give my pcm the proper pulse And now here is a downey rep telling me this is the wrong unit . I waited over 1.5 months to get this unit. And to be honest I was really dissapointed with the product The finish was questionable and the machining was horid. When it was cast the the holes did not line up so to fix this prob someone egged the holes to allow the cover to bolt up. Next there was no plug for the vss . (In doing a conversion wouldnt you think one would need a plug to use the vss) Nor was there instructions on how to install the unit or wire it up to my pcm. Please give me a call as for I am A little disturbed at this moment and I am questioning your post.my invoice # is 97188name is Dennis Soucey and # has been pm ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom