Windshield Frame question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having a really hard time trying to track down a windshield frame for my dad and my 1966 Fj40.

-I was wondering if I could use another windshield from a different year Fj40, like a 64, 65, 67, 68,.

Can anyone help?

If you are not in a hurry, I have one that I will be removing in the next couple of months. No rust whatsoever. PM me if you are interested.
But to answer your question, I am about to put one from a '74 on my '66. If you go '75 and later you will neex to get the hinges that go with it.

Ed

Cruiser Parts.Net in NH probably has one. They are pretty honest, but have James send you some pics first.

Ed, why are you using a later windshield? I have a really good one on my 76 donor that I thought of putting on my 66, but the latches aren't right. Also it wont look original. I think Bull has done this too. Do the advantages outweigh this, and what do you do about the latch handles, I'd hate to lose them....

I have one pm'ed you

Ed, why are you using a later windshield? I have a really good one on my 76 donor that I thought of putting on my 66, but the latches aren't right. Also it wont look original. I think Bull has done this too. Do the advantages outweigh this, and what do you do about the latch handles, I'd hate to lose them....

Pops, I thought about this for a long time. I really dig the style of the '66 windshield frame, especially the vent, but I want to install my Dashman Dashbox and it will effectively cancel the vent. Actually you need to remove the open/close mechanism.
The latch handles will be used on a trailer project and the windshield will find a new home on the right cruiser:beer:

Ed

Pops, I thought about this for a long time. I really dig the style of the '66 windshield frame, especially the vent, but I want to install my Dashman Dashbox and it will effectively cancel the vent. Actually you need to remove the open/close mechanism.
The latch handles will be used on a trailer project and the windshield will find a new home on the right cruiser:beer:

Ed

I have a friend who bought a FJ40 new in 1966. It did not have the vent in the windshield but the one in the front of the cowl instead. May have been a mid year change or your's is a 65 production sold in 66. The latches should be the same from 1964 thru 1967. With the 68 model the padded dash started and in 63 a bolt and nut use on the windshield. This may have been a mid year 63 change since alot of stuff changed mid year in 63. But my 63 used the bolt.:cheers:

John

Mine is in fact a '65 with the "T-66" brass tag. Also has no intake vent in the cowl for the heater.

Ed

Not sure when the outside air intake vent for the heater became standard in the US. Both my FJ45LPB I have and FJ45LV I sold didn't have heater option so no instake. both were 65s. The vent I'm talking about was the one on the top of the cowl right in front of the windshield, that's what replaced the vent in the windshield. That was used until the 74 model when the heater was changed to have the vent on the top. Then the opening stayed around for a few more years. I guess this was because Toyota was still making FJ40s without heaters in other markets. The big down side of the vent on the top of the cowl is when is leaks you get your wiring and switches wet.

So does your 65/66 have a hard top? If so which one, the one with corner windows or not. I've since 65 with both.

John

I know which vent you were talking about, and AFAIK, the vent for the heater began in '66. The windshield vent is very functional and does a great job, for that reason, I hate to lose it:frown:
I believe mine was rolled at some point and a later hardtop was installed, it is not the corrugated kind with the bifold rear hatch. It does have the corner windows.
Like so many a true FrankenCruiser:D

Ed

Since I have no clue what a dashman dashbox is, maybe I should stick with the stock windshield with vent. My main reason for wanting to switch them was because the 76 has good glass and rubber, and the 66 doesnt. Perhaps I was just being cheap... The 76 windshield can always be used on my next winter's project and that one will be sooo franken. Using parts from a 66, 69,76 and a pig or two.....wasn't that a Johnny Cash song?

Since I have no clue what a dashman dashbox is...

Sorry, was not trying to impress you. Here it is on BTB's website. As you can clearly see, it would cover the mechanisim to open and close the W/S vent.

BTB Products - Detail

Ed

I refer to the windshield vent cruisers as 65 and older.

First year with cowl vent and no windshield vent: 66.

First 40 with padded dash: 9/66, which in my mind is a '67. This I learned the hard way. Bought a parts rig back in the '80s with padded dash hoping to score some extra steel for my birf hungry ARB only to be slighted with a factory ball joint axle. :rolleyes:

So Ed, I would refer to your vented w/s frame as a '65 too.

Best

Mark A.

This is my second 45 with a windshield vent. The first one had the vents blocked off from the inside with a couple of steel plates, and this one is just gutted in that area. I also found what appears to be some defroster parts under the seat. Anyone have pictures of the 'opening mechanism'?... and of course the next question will be where I can get the part(s). oh, and Ed, it's too late. You and many others on this site have already impressed me greatly with your vast cruiser knowledge.

Last edited:
Hope these help. Turn the knob and the vent opens/closes.:beer:

Ed
ventmech 001.jpg
ventmech 002.jpg

Cool. I gotta get me some of those.. Back to working on this thing while the sun is shining....(very rare around these parts). Thanks a lot:beer:

I refer to the windshield vent cruisers as 65 and older.

First year with cowl vent and no windshield vent: 66.

First 40 with padded dash: 9/66, which in my mind is a '67. This I learned the hard way. Bought a parts rig back in the '80s with padded dash hoping to score some extra steel for my birf hungry ARB only to be slighted with a factory ball joint axle. :rolleyes:

So Ed, I would refer to your vented w/s frame as a '65 too.

Best

Mark A.

I have always thougth the 68 model was the first padded dash. SOR shows the padded dash starting with the 68 too. My 68, production 9/67 has the padded dash and backup light along with the F145 engine which were all started with the 68 model from what I understand. It also has the ball and claw which is also normal for an early 68. Back in the days when Toyota still supported the early cruisers I had to ask fro 67 parts for anything doing with the tranfer and drivelines. Found that out the hard when I changed the rear output seal on the tranfer. After installing I had all the oil run out. The hand brake drum has a smaller diameter on the early one.:cheers:

John

.....I Found that out the hard when I changed the rear output seal on the tranfer. After installing I had all the oil run out. The hand brake drum has a smaller diameter on the early one.:cheers:

John

Not trying to take the thread off topic, but rear output seal and drum are the same on both the 67 and the 68, but the birf is what designates the change from 67 to 68 IMO, so I would call your rig out as a 67 [just like your dealer did]

so I would call your rig out as a 67 [just like your dealer did]

Mark I would like to know how could know what yeara dealer in AZ would call a vehicle sold in 11/67. Model year almost always starts months in the previous year. This vehicle has always been titled in AZ so the the title shows the first month and year registered. I've owned it since 8/74 at that time it was bone stock right down to the hub caps. Some changes made with the 68 model year reflectors added to the rear frame in between the tail lights and bumperettes. Front reflector added to apron. Backup up light starts. Padded dash. F145 with a two barrel intake but only a one barrel carb. Front seats locked upright with a knob you have to pulled out. Parking lights in bib changed from clear to amber. I've got all of these with mine. I'm not the only one who has a 68 that got the ball and claw in the front axle while I'm sure most got the birfs. I'm going to call mine 68 just as the title reads. While I can't say for sure (I wasn't there) I have a felling a dealer was going to call a vehicle that hasn't been sitting around for months ans sold in Nov as the next years model.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom