Need help to obtain paint mixing formulae (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there.

I recently went to my usual automotive paint shop and ordered 2 liters of "Toyota sky blue 854 paint" for my BJ40.

Both the man behind the counter and myself expected no problems because I've received that paint from them before.

However when I came back next day to pick it up - They told me that they couldn't find the mixing formula. (The colour name and code meant nothing to them.)

I suspect whoever mixed it before has left and only less knowledgable/experienced people remain. (Usual story.)

So. No problemo I thought. I'll just look it up on the Internet myself.

But where do I look for the mixing formulae for colours like Cygnus White 012 and Sky Blue 854?

By the way, if it makes a difference, I use Dulon paint.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:cheers:

Last edited:
That is a paint code, they should be able to look up or use the formulas they have.

I just went to NAPA and purchased cans of Cygnus white and Dune Beige. I just gave them the code #'s and they whipped em' up in a day or so.

Edit: Maybe it is an issue in your area, I see now you are in NZ.

Last edited:
You might have the codes wrong. I think 854 should really be 8s4 or 8S4

The white, my be a year problem. You didn't specify a year but 012 is valid

That is a paint code, they should be able to look up or use the formulas they have...I just went to NAPA and purchased cans of Cygnus white and Dune Beige. I just gave them the code #'s and they whipped em' up in a day or so....
Edit: Maybe it is an issue in your area, I see now you are in NZ.

Yeah. Thanks Spud. I know they SHOULD be able to work off those codes.

I just thought that with the tremendous power of the Internet these days, I could find the mixing formulae myself and just hand printouts to them.

Last time I got the paint there was a handwritten bit of paper attached with the formula for "sky blue" scribbled on it. I meant to copy that into my "little black book" but somehow that got overlooked and now the paper is long gone.

Of course I can go to another supplier - But I like using the Dulon product and am weary of trying another. (And this shop has been good to me in a number of ways.)

Another thing I can do is bring in the 3/4 empty 4 liter tin they sold me before (and a rattle can they supplied) of 854 to rub their noses in the fact that "if they supplied it before they must surely be able to do so again".

You might have the codes wrong. I think 854 should really be 8s4 or 8S4.

Thanks Paintjob. But 854 is definitely correct (Oh - I must be careful of saying DEFINITELY but I'm as sure as I can be). Although you're right in that I can help them further by giving the year of manufacture of my truck. (They could well have looked only at more recent Toyota colour codes for all I know.)

Last edited:
You might have the codes wrong. I think 854 should really be 8s4 or 8S4

854 is a valid toyota code. try AutoColorLibrary Color Chip Selector look up ici ref # cc34

it shows the following formulation for PPG:

9900 68%
9904 22%
9905 4%
9901 6%

I had the paint show mix this ratio and I think it was to dark, so I lightened it. Your results may vary

BTW, look under toyota, 1976, and its formulation is on the last page without actual color swatches.

854 is a valid toyota code. try AutoColorLibrary Color Chip Selector look up ici ref # cc34
it shows the following formulation for PPG:
9900 68%
9904 22%
9905 4%
9901 6%
I had the paint show mix this ratio and I think it was to dark, so I lightened it. Your results may vary
BTW, look under toyota, 1976, and its formulation is on the last page without actual color swatches.

Magic. Exactly what I was after - Thanks Cruiserbrett.:beer:

I think the traffic on that site is too busy at the moment so I'll try and take another look later.. (It stalled and then told me "service unavailable".)

Anyway - You've looked it up for me and given me the figures I wanted.

Just an update here.

I've learnt a lot since posting on this subject before.

In Australia and New Zealand we use the paint brand called "Dulon".

Dulon tinters have their own codes so despite Dulon paint being connected with PPG paints and ICI, the ICI formula provided by Brett in Post #5 meant nothing to them.

At the moment, Toyota "Sky Blue 854" in Dulon is mixed from the following formula:

Volume 500 ml

Tinter Cumulative Wgt (g)
A020 204.3
A129 208.7
A245 424.1
A515 500.0

Further info about this paint (as listed on my paint supplier's computer - Yes Apparently 854 WAS still on it):
Name: BLUE (Australia)
Manufacturer: Toyota
Code: 854
Vehicle Part: Body
Period used: 74-81
Finish Effect: Solid
Colour Reference: AVA6 (17349)
Mixing Scheme: 526 Dulon DGS
Match Category: Good match
Recipe Date: 03-Jul-1981 (Current)
Layer: Main Layer (AVA6)
Lead content: 0.0%
VOC: 0.32 kg
Density: 0.985

PS. This info is probably useful only to people in Australia or NZ where the Dulon brand is sold. (I don't think it is sold anywhere else.)

Also, a good paint supplier (and I don't mean simply a spraypainter's shop) will be able to do a perfect paint match for you if you provide a sample from the vehicle (such as the fuel filler cover bearing the original paint) without the need of providing them with the paint formula.

But I like to give them the formula so they can get the match "near perfect" straight away - and then, the way I see it, "perfecting the match" should take them less time/effort.

I fear as time goes on, the formula for my truck will be removed from my paint supplier's computer (because the management hierarchy are always adding and removing formulae).

:beer:

Last edited:
Real quick:

Here's the DBC for 854 Sky Blue as well (if anyone needs to match it that way). We found it by looking up the Ditzler number in one of the PPG manuals.

DBC14841

Matches beautifully!

Dan

toyoya paint code 854

I am from the Philippines. Currently doing paint work for my FJ40. I am using anzahl paints. Does anyone have any formula for mixing paints for toyota code 854 using anzahl. Would appreciate very much for your help. Thanks

Butch

was this a base coat clear coat or acrylic enamel?

I will be honest I have been doing this crap for so long I dont even measure anymore with no troubles. I go by feel on the reducer and I like to add a touch more hardner for a little extra shine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom