4runner Caliper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Santa made a delivery today of OEM parts: 4runner calipers, pads, Tie/relay rods and ends.

Little bitty problem, however. I looked at the pads and calipers and they seem to match up. As I put them in the caliper, I noticed there was nothing holding them in place - that can't be right. It looked like two rods hold the pads, and after searching 'Mud, that appears true (as well as what looks like a spring/bent plate.)

Should this have come with the calipers or the pads? Or is it a seperate part I should have ordered? I'm wanting to start my knuckle/TRE/4runner caliper frenzy soon - but it won't be much good if my brake pads fall out!

:bang:

Sounds like Santa makes late deliveries in Virginia.

The pins and spring plates came with the pads I bought (I think they were Wagners). I purchased the calipers and pads individually from the local parts store.

Good luck. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much difference the 4 runner calipers make. I can lock up my 31s, whereas I couldn't before.

You should have received, with the new pads, two of the pins, #6 and the locking pin #7 and the spreader spring #5.

I've always got them in the box with new brake pads.

Jerry D.
084A.gif

You should have received, with the new pads, two of the pins, #6 and the locking pin #7 and the spreader spring #5.

Not with OEM pads you won't. They are a separate part, not included with the pads. Your diagram above confirms this. If you want the pins and springs/clips, you have to order them separately.

I've always got them in the box with new brake pads.

I've never seen them included, I always re-used the old ones.

Not with OEM pads you won't. They are a separate part, not included with the pads. Your diagram above confirms this. If you want the pins and springs/clips, you have to order them separately.
I've never seen them included, I always re-used the old ones.
X3. Except I'm in Ohio, where the stuff is usually not salvageable.

Order 4 of #6, and 2 of #7 & #5.

Thanks guys - I'll swing by the dealership today and pick some up. The box the OEM pads came in barely fit the pads, so clearly you're all right about it not coming with the OEM stuff.

Thanks for the parts diagram, that will help.

Placed the order with the local dealer - $38 for the rods, springs and clips! Yikes. I'm all for OEM, but if I had known this, I probably would have gone with a quality aftermarket pad. Oh well - live and learn.

Non-ifs 95 is a good choice.

Check that the casting number is S13WB to make sure you have the caliper with the large pistons.

Non-ifs 95 is a good choice.

Uhhh.... that is conflicing info. All 4Runners '86 and up are IFS, at least in the US market.

You want V6 4Runner calipers, '95 is a good year to ask for.

X3. Except I'm in Ohio, where the stuff is usually not salvageable.

Order 4 of #6, and 2 of #7 & #5.

Anti-sieze is your friend!

Uhhh.... that is conflicing info. All 4Runners '86 and up are IFS, at least in the US market.

You want V6 4Runner calipers, '95 is a good year to ask for.

That is why I said 95......

...but you also said non-ifs. thanks for the heads up...i have a spare set of oem binders here that i thought someone local with a 60 could use..but its for 96+ with the 16" wheels...

I think he meant non ABS all the 4runners of that era are IFS.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Anti-sieze is your friend!
Do I hear an Aye-Men? Yes, I do! :D

This message sponsored by ODOT, proudly covering roads with thousands of tons of corrosives every winter.:rolleyes:

I was able to get a "spring kit" as a separate item from NAPA. The number might be NAPA 82658 but not sure. As I recall it did not have pins, just the springs. If all of the above is correct, it cost $4.32 per wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom