Should I trade the 80 for a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well...I was tempted with a FJcruiser trade last week and passed it up. Now the new car bug has me and I'm bored at home with thoughts of driving down the countryside with the top off a 40...

Should I trade someone my stock/locked '95 for a whatever yr model FJ40?

BTW, my 80 IS my daily driver cept when I ride my dual sport DRZ400.

NO!:D

80 + 40 = 120

I have to agree with everyone else. I've got one of each and have zero intention of getting rid of either.

Tony

OK that would be nice and all but I can only have 1...:crybaby:

ONE DAY i will have both i guarantee.

IMO depends on what type of man you are. Like if you dont care about the crack in the road you just drove over and that it is sure to cause you to spill yer moca late (response: :meh:) Or, you watch way to many episodes of "The Deadliest Catch" and often fantasize about moving up there and you dont want to pull up in a "Roveresq" SUV just to ask the captain for a job, then sure go for it.

if it is truly your DD then i would not. you need to ask yourself of there are activities you do and places you go that you cant in the 40. if the answer is that there are... then i would keep the 80. however, you just gave me the best friggen idea ever...

as my 80 is my around the town car and the subaru is what we take on long trips... maybe the 40 IS a better idea for me? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

if it is truly your DD then i would not. you need to ask yourself of there are activities you do and places you go that you cant in the 40. if the answer is that there are... then i would keep the 80. however, you just gave me the best friggen idea ever...

as my 80 is my around the town car and the subaru is what we take on long trips... maybe the 40 IS a better idea for me? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

glad I could help!:steer:

Well...I dont need all the room. lol its one of those things im tryin to talk myself into

glad I could help!:steer:

Well...I dont need all the room. lol its one of those things im tryin to talk myself into

Keep the 80 until you have the dough to buy the 40 so you can mod each one at a time and have the other for the DD:doh:

We have the 80, a 40 (although is currently in "Box" mode) and a suby. I recently looked at another 40 but timing is off financially unless he comes down in price. You can find a decent running 40 for $3k or so. It will need some love but you could drive and work on it. Unless you absolutely can only have 1, I'd do both. Otherwise, lose the bug and keep the 80.

Tripper

For a DD, the 40 doesn't cut it, unless you have a short commute, and live in Colorado. No comparison between the two models. I love my beat up '40, but it's a hobby. My DD is an '80, and it's perfect, mostly because I don't care about the mileage at this point in my life (I'm 62, airborne, Ranger, Vietnam vet, etc. ad nauseum) My advice, like the others is, if you need a DD, keep the 80. If you want a project, buy a 40. But whatever, have fun with it. :cheers:Ned

A forty series is fun. It is not something I would drive every day.

For a DD, the 40 doesn't cut it, unless you have a short commute, and live in Colorado. No comparison between the two models. I love my beat up '40, but it's a hobby. My DD is an '80, and it's perfect, mostly because I don't care about the mileage at this point in my life (I'm 62, airborne, Ranger, Vietnam vet, etc. ad nauseum) My advice, like the others is, if you need a DD, keep the 80. If you want a project, buy a 40. But whatever, have fun with it. :cheers:Ned

I agree. Keep the 80 if you're using it as a DD and buy a 40 for a project. A 40 would be too rough for a DD anyway, well depending on how far and what kind of roads your commuting on.

Well....I take that back. If you're gonna a buy a 40 buy it restored already, as a friend of mine told me. Otherwise you spend a LOT of $$$ restoring the damn thing.

I gotta say I seriously wrestled with this just a while back. I wanted very much to have a 40, the whole no top breeze in my lack of hair etc.......... was very appealing. I talked to lots of folks on here who have had or have both and all agreed that although the 40 which is very capable is not nearly as versatile nor as nice as the 80.

The FZJ-80 is truly the finest 4 wheel drive ever produced and the most versatile in application.

Course I am only a little bit biased.

I replied to your "should I trade my 80 for an FJC" thread with my experience of driving one and not going for it, mainly due to visibility. Oddly enough, the same family friend and Toyota dealership owner has a 40 with 39k original miles. He was toying with the idea of selling it and I had told him years ago that I would buy it if he was ever so inclined. Drove it for a day the day before I drove the FJC.

I will buy one eventually but there is no way that I would contemplate only having a 40 to drive. It's just too uncomfortable for anything other than an occassional run about or for off road. I would have bought the 40 anyway but we're out of the country most of the year so it just didn't make sense. I need to wait until I'm in a position to be able to tinker with it.

As already mentioned by others, hard for me to imagine anything more versatile than an 80 (especially one with lockers). Comfortable enough for a 1000 mile trip and will take you almost anywhere you want to go off the highway.

Buy a 40 when you can but don't sell the 80...unless it's to buy another 80!

I talked to lots of folks on here who have had or have both and all agreed that although the 40 which is very capable is not nearly as versatile nor as nice as the 80.

That is it. I had a 40 and currently am on my second 80 (with three 62's in between). The 40 is a super fun vehicle and I will have another someday. It is not the least bit practical if you are going to drive any number of miles. It's also not a good family vehicle. I don't feel safe with my kids in the jump seats. The 80 is a comfortable modern vehicle.

It all depends on what you plan to use it for. If it were a 3rd vehicle that was just for fun for you a 40 might be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom