multiple glow cycles in the morning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have both an HJ60 and a Mercedes 300TD running on biodiesel from the SF grease recovery program. My question is why the Landcruiser is so significantly different from the sedan in cold morning starts? I have new glow plugs (stock), new strong batteries (Optima yellow tops) and am facing 3-5 glow cycles before the truck starts depending how cold it is (and it has been cold here in SF lately- not snowing Northern miserable cold but damp North Coast miserable temperatures in the high 30s- 40s according to the thermometer out in the yard). The Mercedes, no matter how cold, starts right up on one glow cycle.

I know that people have skipped the timer circuit on the HJ60- mine came to me that way and I was cautioned against that as the glow plug timer circuit accounts for previous heating cycles to prevent cooking the plugs. (I believe that there is a nice graph of charge vs. time in the shop manual.)

LOL 30-40F's would be nice for a change.

I'm not familiar with either of your diesel platforms but do they both have precombustion chambers? When cold, the precombustion chamber will cool the diesel spray whereas directly injecting into the combustion chamber does better during cold starting (in general).

Just throwing that tidbit out there as something to consider.

Jeff

I have both an HJ60 and a Mercedes 300TD running on biodiesel from the SF grease recovery program. My question is why the Landcruiser is so significantly different from the sedan in cold morning starts? I have new glow plugs (stock), new strong batteries (Optima yellow tops) and am facing 3-5 glow cycles before the truck starts depending how cold it is (and it has been cold here in SF lately- not snowing Northern miserable cold but damp North Coast miserable temperatures in the high 30s- 40s according to the thermometer out in the yard). The Mercedes, no matter how cold, starts right up on one glow cycle.

I know that people have skipped the timer circuit on the HJ60- mine came to me that way and I was cautioned against that as the glow plug timer circuit accounts for previous heating cycles to prevent cooking the plugs. (I believe that there is a nice graph of charge vs. time in the shop manual.)

There is a problem either in your glow system, or with the injectors. SF 'cold' should not be a problem for a 2H at all-My HJ60 starts fine at truly cold temps in Mammoth or Bend in winter.

Have you measured if the plugs get juice when you energize them? Are you sure you are running the correct plugs (6V vs. 12V)?

Once it starts, what kind of smoke are you seeing, and for how long? do you know about the compression?

cheers,
Jan

Jan,

I will try to check the voltage on the glow plugs this weekend (family in town), as well as the power to them. I have a good cloud of black smoke on initial start which trails off to a steady light smoking for 3- 5 minutes until the truck is warm. Thanks for the help,
Jeff

I have to agree with Jan, there is something fishy with the HJ-60, especially the black smoke. If anything my BJ42 would give a short bit of the classic white smoke on initial cold start in the winter. My Mercedes doesn't much at all. Both ran/run biodiesel in various blends.

Compression is an important bit of data here. Do you know at least the number of miles on each engine?

Have you tried other fuels sources such as from the Biofuel Oasis over in Berkeley? Just a thought to control one of the variables here. Good to hear SF has biod now--I won't have to swing over to Berkeley when I visit!

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom