Help in Buying a 94 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always wanted a 80 Series crusiser since they came out and finally get my wish, We've out grown the car and Talked the wife into letting us (me) get a cruiser. I'm going to look at two of them today, a 96 that has had the lockers and transmission fixed, has about 150k on it AND the one I'm leaning towards a 94 with 80k miles , replaced dist, wires, starter, radiator, but with no lockers. Both are about $10,000

From what I've learned from these forums is that there is not much diff from 93 through 97 to the drivetrain. I've read through all the info buy need some expertise on what to look OUT for. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for on these and on the test drive? I've heard about the head gasket problems and birfs but how do I tell if everything is solid on just a kick the tires appraisal?

I'm planning to look at them today and then decide soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will probably be the family car for a few years and then hopefully I'll inherit it and turn it into a 4wd beast.

Brad

If it were me I would go with the one that has the best maintenance history. That being said, you mentioned that it would be a mall cruiser for a while then become a trail rig. If thats the case and the 94 looks like a better deal with only 80k on it, I would add lockers later(if you even need them at all). The 94 wont have airbags, so if that is something that will give you piece of mind with the family:princess: in it then that may be a deciding factor to go with the other. So I would go with your gut and have fun with whatever repairs and PM come your way, all the while knowing these are incredibly safe and capable vehicles. Whichever one you choose it will still be a landcruiser. Read this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/214851-ode-80-a.html and rest assured you made a great decision with either one. :D
Best of luck,
Paul

Cruiser decision

Look around and be patient. The price seems a bit high on the 94 even with the miles but if it is nice and you don't mind the lack of lockers and airbags go for it. You might be able (and should) bargain down 1-2K on that. The other cruiser seems priced OK but there are lots of them around for that price and with even less mileage. Be patient and find the right one. Sometimes looking in other cities and paying for shipping can work out as well. For me the 94 for 8-9K would be a nice find with those miles. I got my 94 with 102K on it for 7500 and I think I got a fair deal but not a great one. Good luck.

GW

thanks...

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure and ask about the maintainence records. however from just talking to both these guys on the phone, neither of them have had em that long..??? in fact a lot of 80's I've called on the owner has not had them very l nog... maybe it's the mileage??? oh well.. As far as being patient I've watched and called on a dozen in the past year that were good deals and ALL of them were either sold of spoken for within a few days of the ad coming out... just like this one: ksl.com - KSL Car Classifieds

As far as airbags, I dont know that it bothers me in such a tank of a vehicle, in fast it just seems to me like less to go wrong.... Kinda wish it had not Anti Lock Brakes too, I swear I drive worse when you cant feel what it doing underneath your pedals...

thanks again! any comments of what to look out for when inspecting?

Whats up man, I bought a very clean '94 (w/ lockers) with 93,000'ish miles last November for $8,450. This was in SoCal, so that price could have been lower somewhere else in the country.

Look at the ends of the front axle where you see the back of a ball looking thing. Thats the birfield and should not have stuff dripping out of it. Grease is ok, just not running out of it. Its not a big deal though if you do the repair yourself, but ~$1000 in a shop. Mine needed to be done and it wasnt too bad to DIY.

Also do the bubble test in the coolant overflow tank. You'll find posts here on who to perform it.Basically have someone hold warm engine at 2000rpm, pop open the overflow and see if bubbles are coming out of the submerged tube. Thats a basic headgasket assessment.

Enjoy!

Howdy! I looked at a 94 recently myself. Found it did not have rear disc brakes, which means it it not a full floating axle. Along with missing air bags, I don't think they have ABS brakes. John

I have a 94 for sale in Bham AL. $6500, 174k miles, white with grey leather. Not sure where you are located but I could send you a ton of pics. PM if interested.

As far as being patient I've watched and called on a dozen in the past year that were good deals and ALL of them were either sold of spoken for within a few days of the ad coming out...

A well maintained Cruiser that is priced well will sell almost immediately. There are plenty of people looking for them that have done extensive research. As in scoured this forum and every online classified for months. They know exactly what they are looking for in one, what a good price is, and are ready to buy pretty much on the spot.

It's always a good idea to ask questions here but the problem is that you will miss out on many of the really good ones if you have to do that.

My 94' does have disc brakes, full floating and has ABS

Howdy! I looked at a 94 recently myself. Found it did not have rear disc brakes, which means it it not a full floating axle. Along with missing air bags, I don't think they have ABS brakes. John

In 93,94 ABS and the FF was an option. Some got it some didn't.
ABS would always come with the FF rear and discs.
From 95 on ABS and FF was standard.

Took me a while but I found a 97 with 208K for $5K. Mileage was a little high but maintenance was decent and overall condition was great. Our bank had no problem with the loan and said the low end value was over $8K and a dealer would expect $10K+. (They use NADA) Besides that, as long as maintenance is kept up, 300K is fairly common in these units. Additionally, all the family fits well with our goodies and I feel comfortable and confident we can go anywhere we need as a family.

Tripper

looked at it!

Well..... you're right he wants too much, Funny how people dont mention any of the minor details in ads or on the phone... let's see....

big ol' hole in the headlight
cracked windshield
broken antennae
broken mirror
bald tires (with bonus uneven wear)
needs alignment

HOWEVER

immaculate interior
not a spec of oil on the motor, VERY clean.

I offered him 7k (doubt he'll take it with all the calls he's getting..)

P.S. the 96 that I looked at and drove earlier in the day was a MUCH smoother quieter ride despite being a lot more abused.

back to the waiting game!

thanks everybody!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom