what should I do with my front end damage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i am trying to go through insurance to fix my front bumper on my 1987 JDM BJ74. It has the extended frame with the PTO winch. There is fairly minimal damage but all the parts i need are no longer avalible. I have been offered a cash setlement that is a joke so I am looking at options for fixing it up. I have thought of ripping everything back to the frame and building something custom around a new electric winch. OR maybe building around the PTO i have. what do all of you think I should do? any ideas or even references for pics and such would be a great help. Thanks in advance J

What parts do you need? Bumper? The flat table like extensions?

I say keep the PTO winch and build a custom bumper around it. If you like the ARB bumper, it can be modded to fit.

hoser, can you elaborate on making the arb bumper fit a pto. thanks

make sure you check the that drive line to the PTO is still in good shape, Im totally paranoid of smashing up the front end and pooching all the linkages....

I've also got a chrome 70 series bumper w/frame extensions and aluminum grill/rad guard. 50 buck delivered as far as Red Deer in May if you're interested.

hoser, can you elaborate on making the arb bumper fit a pto. thanks
I have not done it myself but here is a picture of the PTO winch with an ARB bumper. They cut out a section of the front lower bumper and added new steel to fit around the winch. I believe he also had to mod/fab a bracket for the winch. So, yes, it can be done.
ARBwithPTOwinch.JPG

Don't let go of your PTO...
It's because PTO-winches (and the PTO-gear) is so expensive over here and hard to get on the aftermarket, I have a hydraulic winch (second best I think, I know, I know........:)) Otherwise I would have a PTO: Powerfull, Tuff and Obviously simple.:D

thanks for the imput so far guys! I am hung up waiting for a body shop to have a look at it for me so I can see all the extent of the damages. I will keep all of your offers in mind. PTO is strong and simple yes but that F'N sheer pin is CRAP!!!!!

Sheer pins aren't crap - they are meant to break before you break your winch. Please don't drill it out and use a bigger pin or you'll be on here asking for a new gear:) Just put a new pin in and you are off to the races, just use snatch blocks to lighten the pull.

I love those PTO winches!

thanks for the imput so far guys! I am hung up waiting for a body shop to have a look at it for me so I can see all the extent of the damages. I will keep all of your offers in mind. PTO is strong and simple yes but that F'N sheer pin is ****!!!!!

You would not bother about a sheeringpin that costs a dollar and if necessary could be replaced by a nail as a (temporarely) quickfix, after being pulling for 20 minutes or so at the max rate of your winch and then break it.
(ppsssttt starting a little rant here...)
Have you ever seen an electric winch pulling for 15 minutes at max power? Without at least starting to smell nasty? Or even start to burn? .......I have....:cheers:

(rant closed:D:D)

good points guys. I guess i just got a little pissed because both times I broke the pin it really didn't seem to be pulling that hard. Plus I was saved by my friends electric T MAX 9000lb, which didn't seem to struggle too much. Thanks though i know it is the best thing that could break and ya maybe i should use the snach block a little more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom