Radio Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I finally got my 2m radio installed over the weekend. Now I just have to figure out use the damn thing.:D I spent a few minutes reading the manual, but it made my head hurt, so I will talking on simplex type stuff for a while. I tried to set the +offset for the Bronco Canyon run and it would jump from 120 to 125, it doesn't do 123, so I'm not sure if that will be a problem.

Got some 12volt plugs installed at the same time, so my gps and cb will stay on when the truck is off.

Too much fun.

Jack

Hey somebody to talk too.

It sounds like you in the "Digital Coded Squelch" rather than the "Coded Tone Squelch". They both do the same function but one is digital and the other is an analog unautable tone. If you hear the phrase "PL of 123" they're refering to CTS or CCTS depending how your radio menues are set up.

TTIUWP

You got pics ?

ken

First one is of the radio mounted under the seat.
Second is of the radio face mounted and the 12v sockets
Third is of the radio turned on and 12v sockets.
LC regear and lift 079.jpg
LC regear and lift 080.jpg
LC regear and lift 081.jpg

Hey somebody to talk too.

It sounds like you in the "Digital Coded Squelch" rather than the "Coded Tone Squelch". They both do the same function but one is digital and the other is an analog unautable tone. If you hear the phrase "PL of 123" they're refering to CTS or CCTS depending how your radio menues are set up.
So what am I chopped liver?:lol:

Nice job Jack. What kind of antenna/mount did you use?

Last edited:
First one is of the antenna.
Second is different angle, the main portion of the antenna is protected by the Hi-lift, I know that I lost a bit of ground plane, but I figured that it was worth the protection.
Third one is of the antenna folded over, gargage or heavy brush mode.

Jack
LC regear and lift 083.jpg
LC regear and lift 084.jpg
LC regear and lift 085.jpg

So what am I chopped liver?:lol:

Sorry, you got me. I should've said "Some body else to talke too". I like having the 2m radios around considering I always seem to have some problem with my CB, like forgeting the antenna.:doh:

Jack, how's your SWR with your antenna that close to the high lift?

Shawn

Thanks. I used a NMO mount with a tab off of my upright for the mount and a Comet SBB-5 antenna.

Jack, how's your SWR with your antenna that close to the high lift?

Shawn

I don't have an SWR meter, so until I can check it I don't know. I thought maybe I would see how it performs tonight before or after the meeting.

Speaking of which, is anyone going to be on 2m tonight on their way to the meeting? If so, what channel? I would like to see if this thing is working.:D

By the way, Call sign: KE7NCK.

Jack

Thanks. I used a NMO mount with a tab off of my upright for the mount and a Comet SBB-5 antenna.

I don't have an SWR meter, so until I can check it I don't know. I thought maybe I would see how it performs tonight before or after the meeting.

Speaking of which, is anyone going to be on 2m tonight on their way to the meeting? If so, what channel? I would like to see if this thing is working.:D

By the way, Call sign: KE7NCK.

Jack

I have an SWR meter if you want to use it.

I have an SWR meter if you want to use it.

I am going to need it, I was able to talk to SpressoDan on the way to the meeting last night. I could hear him very clear, but my output was scratchy and we weren't that far apart. So some tuning is in order.

Jack

Man Ive GOTTA get on that HAM crap...
reading this stuff gives me a stomach ache trying to figure out what the hell you guyz are talking about.

Looks to be a nice install Jack.

"cant wait to see it in person!":eek::D

K

Man Ive GOTTA get on that HAM crap...
reading this stuff gives me a stomach ache trying to figure out what the hell you guyz are talking about.

Looks to be a nice install Jack.

"cant wait to see it in person!":eek::D

K

Yes, yes you do. Embrace the geekness...:grinpimp:

Thanks.

Jack

I am going to need it, I was able to talk to SpressoDan on the way to the meeting last night. I could hear him very clear, but my output was scratchy and we weren't that far apart. So some tuning is in order.

Jack
I'll get it to you this weekend. I haven't used it yet so you'll be breaking new ground. I'll make sure to bring the manual.

Keith: SWR is Standing Wave Ratio, it is a measure of the amount of signal that is reflected from the antenna back to the radio compared to the amount transmitted from the radio. A perfect match is 1:1. anything less than 2:1 is okay 1.5:1 is considered a good match.

This is true for any kind of two way radio, 2M or CB.

Dan,

What kind of SWR meter do you have?

I'll get it to you this weekend. I haven't used it yet so you'll be breaking new ground. I'll make sure to bring the manual.

Keith: SWR is Standing Wave Ratio, it is a measure of the amount of signal that is reflected from the antenna back to the radio compared to the amount transmitted from the radio. A perfect match is 1:1. anything less than 2:1 is okay 1.5:1 is considered a good match.

This is true for any kind of two way radio, 2M or CB.

That makes better sense...
I dug out your book and am gonna start moving towards "GEEKNESS" status myself.

K

That makes better sense...
I dug out your book and am gonna start moving towards "GEEKNESS" status myself.

K

Just so we won't be able to talk smack about you on our runs :flipoff2:

Just so we won't be able to talk smack about you on our runs :flipoff2:

UMMMMM....YEAH!

Heartless bastards! You probably pick on the handicap too!;p

K

Well if you guys can hit the 147.060 repeater you can talk to me in Fallon from reno its plus offset and pl is 123 its linked to the silver springs repeater and i can hit that no problem and yes im up with the Geekness WOOT BTW i have a radio on almost all the time in the house and in my rigs so its not hard to get ahold of me BTW call sign is KE7NCL

Dan:cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

Last edited:
I'm not going to tell you guys when I get mine so I can intercept all messages about blue 60 series in stealth mode.

Dylan

GOOD PLAN!
Im in too!
Damn I wish that I had thought of that!:hmm:

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom