OBD II AutoScanner question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
I have an Actron model CP9135 scanner and I can only get it to read and clear codes but no other functions seem to be avaliable with my 1997 80's CPU. It has functions like EGR Gas Temp, missfire, compression check as well as some others but none of them will work in real time I guess while driving. Is this scanner just a lower model than what is required to read the 80 completely? Does the Toyota SST scan tool read all of those other data functions? Should I look for perhaps a little better scanner without having to get the Toyota SST scann tool which is I am sure very expensive and more than what I would need? This Axtron CP9135 I picked up at Auto Zone for about $150 a couple years ago. To they make one that is more compatiable with my 1997 80?

You might want to do some reading on this. There are basic level codes that all OBD2 systems spit out to readers such as yours. There are also what are known as "extended" codes which are the Toyota codes that most basic readers can't get to. Some of the high-end software as well as the Toyota SST system can read the extended codes.

Oh hey man... Haven't talked to you in a while. We still need to get together sometime when I am in Houston.
That figures about my cheap scanner but at least I can read and clear codes but I wonder that since it is not able to read all the data from the ECU is it still giving me an accurate reading of just the codes alone? Probably so but the only ones I have ever see is the usual EGR insifficient flow PO401 but I have given up on tracking that one down. The CEL has been on for a couple years now and I figure one day the bulb will blow and I won't have to look at it any more. The only other thing that I may try is to take the intake manifold off and clean it inside and scrape out the EGR passage while it the cleaning vat. I have reamed that small passage while on the truck and did get a little black carbon out but there is probably more in there. Everything else has been either replaced or diagnosed by me and then a couple other shops and the light still comes back on as soon as the EGR check criteria is met. Oh well, I just thought it would be cool if I could read all the data while driving. I think it also gives the oil temp in real degres and pressure too which I have often wondered about. I have read up on all the mods ect of the guages but I am not that worried about it. We will talk to you later.

Mark

Actron C9135 is not a scanner (no matter what they call it) it's just a code reader. It can only display/erase error codes and emission readiness monitors. It's not designed to display live sensor info.

Clogged up passage would not cause P00401 under any circumstances worst it can cause is code P0402 excessive EGR flow. Cleaning it would not help. Check your VSV.

Oh hey man... Haven't talked to you in a while. We still need to get together sometime when I am in Houston.
That figures about my cheap scanner but at least I can read and clear codes but I wonder that since it is not able to read all the data from the ECU is it still giving me an accurate reading of just the codes alone? Probably so but the only ones I have ever see is the usual EGR insifficient flow PO401 but I have given up on tracking that one down. Mark

Yep, I'd be anxious to see that paint job so shoot me a note next time you are coming to town. The handhelds are useful, I still have my old 8 year old Actron. Regarding the 401 code, I assume you changed the VSV under the manifold?

Yep, I'd be anxious to see that paint job so shoot me a note next time you are coming to town. The handhelds are useful, I still have my old 8 year old Actron. Regarding the 401 code, I assume you changed the VSV under the manifold?

Ok I will let you know. Yes on the 401, the last shop that screwed up my power steering aslo tried to travk down the EGR problem with no success however, he did charge me for a new VSV and showed me where it is under the manifold but it did not look new to me. The small vacume tube connecting to the VSV and then goes I guess into the manifold, the hose is the origional one because you can see some signs of cracking. Not completely through, just normal sign of 11 years under the hood. I replace all of the vacume lines a while back but I guess I diid not see that one under the manifold. I wouldn't be surprised though if he charged me for a part and did not install it because that is exactly what they did with my power steering vane pump. All I know is that his charge to me for the VSV was about $145 but I know I can do better than that through American Toyota. Since I don't have all the SST's and guages ect that are used to diagnose the EGR system as outlined in the FSM, I would just rather replace some of the key components if they are not to expensive because I look at it like those parts are 11 years old so new ones can't hurt. Except with a complete and complicated system like the EGR, when you replace one part with a new one then the old parts that have been hanging on will decide to fail so then you wind up replacing everything. Oh Well... I have been driving with that code for two years or more without any noticeable problems so it is just something I decide to mess with time to time.

Alex, thanks for the advice because taking off the manifold is a little more than I want to deal with right now and my truck would be down for no telling how long because I have limited time. I will see what a new VSV costs and replace it myself and the one on there now will just go into my spare parts bin. Do you think that 401 insufficient EGR flow is hurting anything by driving it like that?

Alex, thanks for the advice because taking off the manifold is a little more than I want to deal with right now and my truck would be down for no telling how long because I have limited time. I will see what a new VSV costs and replace it myself and the one on there now will just go into my spare parts bin. Do you think that 401 insufficient EGR flow is hurting anything by driving it like that?

You don't have to remove the manifold.

1. Remove the large hose connecting the air cleaner to the intake. Remove the four bolts that hold the throttle body on (and its steel gasket) and set it up out of the way (no need to disconnect the accelerator cables etc. )

2. You will be able to see the VSV as you look in from the passenger side. Climb up on the engine from the passenger front and disconnect the vacuum lines.

3. Have someone shine a light in beneath the intake opening where the throttle body was connected. Get under the truck with about 3 feet of extensions and you will have a direct shot to stab the bolt that holds it in place. It will come out easy. Reverse the process, having someone up on top to help you get it aligned. Remember, the manifold is aluminum so go easy when you re-tighten the TB bolts.

Reattach the hoses and reassemble everything and you are done. FYI, while you have the throttle body off its a good time to do a valve cover gasket, spark plug seaks and plugs and wires.

ok I will follow those directions to check the vsv. But when I was talking about removing the intake manifold, I meant so that I could clean out all the EGR vacume passages. I'll check out the vsv first before I do anything else. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom