Spark plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rinho.org
I read on the manual that the spark plug in North America are not the same than Europe and Australie (Platinium for the last area)
Do you know why ?
Because of the octane percentage ? (91/93 here, 95/98 in Europe)
What kind of spark plugs would you buy ?
Thanks

Last edited:
I would buy OEM(Denso) Iridium plugs. Not the tiny tuner ones, but the OEM stuff from the dealership.

Yes... of course .. why didn't I think of a Toyota dealer;)
Especially here, where parts dealers don't know LC after 6 and 7 series and you look weird if you ask for Lexus's parts in a Napa store ( I tried once for a block heater).

Nobody knows something about the spark plugs difference ?

What mileage do you suggest replacing the original set?

FYI I used platinum plugs rather than Iridiums. Did it 5 years/40k ago with no problems. I plan to replace them at 60k intervals rather than the 90k intervals for the iridiums.

Because of the octane percentage ? (91/93 here, 95/98 in Europe)
What kind of spark plugs would you buy ?
The octane rating of petrol in the US/Europe/Australia is actually quite similar. The difference in number is because a difference in rating system (AKI vs RON).

I bought the Iridium plugs and changed them at 90k though I believe they specify a 120k interval.

Yes... of course .. why didn't I think of a Toyota dealer;)
Especially here, where parts dealers don't know LC after 6 and 7 series and you look weird if you ask for Lexus's parts in a Napa store ( I tried once for a block heater).

Nobody knows something about the spark plugs difference ?

you can order from Cdan(or does he not ship to canuckistan)?

you can order from Cdan(or does he not ship to canuckistan)?
In the french part of canuckistan ! :D
I'm going to look for this way

And so, technically, what's the difference beetween irridium and platinium ? what's the best, why ?
Sorry for my questions, but before the 100, I only had drive/maintain/fix diesel engines.
My culture in gasoline things is in the "nothing" range

And so, technically, what's the difference beetween irridium and platinium ? what's the best, why ?

Standard plug is for people who have standard credit card.

Irridium plug is for people who have gold credit card.

Platinum plug is for people who .. you know the rest of it.

Last week, while rebuilt the starter, I replaced the spark plugs with new Irridium plug from my dealership but oddly the stamp say "Japanese" while the original plugs say "Japan", kinda racist isn't it?

The Platinum plug is rated for 60K miles, and there are two Iridium plugs. One is the performance one with a 0.4 mm tip that is rated for 60-90K miles, The other is the OEM version that has a thicker tip and is rated for 120K miles. All 3 run fine. I have been happy with the OEM and intend to replace with it when I get to 120K. I am not sure that the performance plug will make much difference with the bulky LC/LX, but it is used in the cars for quicker response. Cost is lowest for the Pt plug, then the OEM, then the performance one (but it goes on sale). Get either the NGK or Denso plugs.

OursSauvage, here is a link ( Spark Plugs ) for you to read up on as to what the differences are. The differecne between the two metals is Iridium is six times harder and eight times stronger than platinum thus resulting in longer life.

did you really notice better performance or better miléage ?
I'm not scientist enough to understand why a gasoline recipient would explode better if the lighter is bigger.
But I will trust what you'll say

I have just read:
".../...They are more expensive than traditional spark plugs, however according to Pulstar, the cost is typically recovered in fuel savings after one year.../...

So,according to them, we would save 8x(24.95-6.82)=$ 145 per year ?
How many miles/year are we suppose to drive ?

Yes, I was going to put them in yesterday but, got discouraged after looking at all the :censor: you need to remove! My attitude is better this morning and will reconsider.:)
I'm planning on using them on my 71 GMC when it's done, and will use their dyno, before and after their plugs. I'll be posting the number here when it happens to inform my friends what up. :grinpimp:
Dean

do several pulls before and after so we can "average" one pull before and after isnt enough to convince me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom