lift question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive ran across a pair of brand new Rancho 3"lift springs for virtually nothing. Ive heard you can move the stock rear springs to the front and gain atleast 3" of lift. Is this true?

Can i run stock steering with 3" of lift?

Will a pair of 33x12.5 thornbirds (really knobby) fit without rubbing?

How will i do gear wise with factory gears and a 22r 5spd?

Ive ran across a pair of brand new Rancho 3"lift springs for virtually nothing. Ive heard you can move the stock rear springs to the front and gain atleast 3" of lift. Is this true?

Can i run stock steering with 3" of lift?

Will a pair of 33x12.5 thornbirds (really knobby) fit without rubbing?

How will i do gear wise with factory gears and a 22r 5spd?

What are you working on?

The main reason that people do the rears up front swap is to move the front axle forward to clear the firewall to fit larger tires. It's not as simple as bolting on a set of rears, you'll have to add high steer and a IFS box to clear the springs, and either extend your driveline or build a new one. To gain any lift you'll want to add some extra leaves to your existing pack, otherwise you'll be lower than before because the front is alot heavier than the rear.

It's a pretty complicated job if you're not real used to modifying your rig.

I don't typically link to pirate4x4 but they do have a pretty good list of write-ups on this:
REARS SPRINGS UP FRONT Probably most common front lift springs!
Rears Up Front (RUF) FAQ: rear up front FAQ - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Stock toy rears move the axle forward 2" because they are only 20.5" on the front half where as a stock toyota front spring is 22.5". But you have to add a few leaves to the pack to make them stiff enough to hold up the front of the truck.

For Rear Spring dimensions see:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...&postcount=180

Since you're only planning on running 33s, these Toyota axle relocation Plates from SKY-Manufacturing (click toyota then suspension, it'll be the 5th item down) will move your axle forward an inch.

Lastly, if you're planning on wheeling your toy dump those thornturds and get yourself something that will actually assist you off-road instead of just spinning your tires in the muck.

the thorn"turds" are free and will be replaced as soon as i can start working full time agian. We ran them on our cj8 till we fullsized it. They gripped really good in my opinion. Now the 38.5 thornturnds are really sucky... Would it be easier to by lift springs for the front and block the rear? We are pretty indepth when it comes to modifying our vehicles, currently building a cheap buggy. I was going to go with a square tube front driveshaft and extend the rear proffesionally.

well I didnt want to let the cat outa dabag but $22.95!....NOT EXPECTING IT TO WORK but hey :hillbilly:

...gonna try for the front ;)
22.95.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom