How much is this 60 worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a newb to 60's, but have owned a 95 runner. lookin into a fun trail rig that i can build up. i have found a 86 fj60 around my area that has 261,000 miles on it at a dealer. has rust on the wheel wells, but not too much on the frame. interior is kinda ratty, but with some seat covers and a good cleanup, it should be suitable. it is tan in color, and the dealer has no service records because it was a trade in. they want $1500 but i am not goin that high for something with that many miles and absolutely no records. i drove it, and it runs good. no unusual noises coming from anywhere around the engine. what do you think is a decent startin price? how much longer u think that engine has til it calls quits. i may consider restoring it later on down the road. how hard would it be to get rid of the body rust? thanks for ur help.

Offer them 800....
As fr as the rusts concerned you will prob have to cut it out and fab or buys some new wheel well. Most just cut out the rust and fab some patches.

That's a lot of miles hence the 800 if that. Who knows you could get another 10,000 out of here with a good tune - up, replcing all the fluids and I mean all the fluids/oils.

It all comes down to what are you willing to pay for her, knowing you want to rstore her in the future. I take it this will not be your daily driver. I'd go for it if I needed/wanted another one.

Good luck.

FWIW, I'm cruising right past 300k... These motors LAST.

I say $1000 is a great buy, but you really should post pics on here.

These motors do last but the 60 that I bought two years ago had 179,000 and now I know that the PO did not take care, 2 ovaled out pistons, cam worn compleatly flat on two cylinders but I still rebuilt it love that big 6.

This question really depends on where you are in the country... As a general rule of thumb, $1000-1100 sounds about right for what was described. Does it burn oil? Does it have any oil leaks? Does the front axle need rebuilt?

offer 700

the max i'd pay for is 800. i'l start low at 600, and work my way up i guess. im sure if the engine was well taken care of, it'll last to 300,000, but since there are no records, i have no idea. im gonna look into the price of a rebuild. i have a trusted mechanic that does a lot of my internal engine work free(we made a deal a while back), so all i'd have to pay for is parts. any recommendation on where to purchase them? since its a manual tranny, im not too concerned about it since usually all thats needed to replace is the clutch. i would definitely be swappin out all the oils all around. no pics, i forgot the camera that day. im gonna take another quick look at it tommorow before i make my decision. i'll try to remember to take pics. thanks for ur recommendations
btw: these things aren't too easy to find anymore.

If you get it for 600 to 800, your getting a steal.

You could part it out for more than that. Id say $1000 to $1200 is reasonable for a 60 that runs with some wheel well rust. Unless there is rust in the Roof or Pillars.

This question really depends on where you are in the country... As a general rule of thumb, $1000-1100 sounds about right for what was described. Does it burn oil? Does it have any oil leaks? Does the front axle need rebuilt?
i wish i knew. the dealer said they honestly didnt know because they havent driven it for more than 2 miles. i admire their honesty because most places would tell me what i want to hear.

If you get it for 600 to 800, your getting a steal.

You could part it out for more than that. Id say $1000 to $1200 is reasonable for a 60 that runs with some wheel well rust. Unless there is rust in the Roof or Pillars.
really? it has 261,000 miles on it. that may scare potential buyers of parts away when they find that out.

As far as the body rust........don't bother. You might try to do something to slow it down but will not be able to stop it. The key really is that you should not spend a lot of money on the body rust (like I did, learn from my mistake). Maybe try to slow it and don't worry about the cosmetics. You will enjoy the trails more this way.

really? it has 261,000 miles on it. that may scare potential buyers of parts away when they find that out.

that's true for some parts, like the Engine itself, but for most other parts of the 60, Mileage wont matter, just condition.

As far as the body rust........don't bother. You might try to do something to slow it down but will not be able to stop it. The key really is that you should not spend a lot of money on the body rust (like I did, learn from my mistake). Maybe try to slow it and don't worry about the cosmetics. You will enjoy the trails more this way.
yea, right now, i would just try to slow it down. i know rust is impossible to stop. but later on down the road in 5-6 years when i decide to probably restore it, i want to have somewhat of a solid foundation.

As long as you enjoy doing a little wrenching on the weekends, you can't go wrong under the $ 1,000 mark.
i love to get a little grease on my hands whenever time and school permits.

well, im gonna look at it tommorow, and the only thing thats really itching me is the mileage that it has. i know if it hasnt been rebuilt, i am probably gonna be due for one soon. is there a place you guys know of on the net that sells used, rebuilt engines, or rebuild kits for a decent price? i know that im gonna have to get a whole bunch of stuff rebored, which will cost more $$. would i be better off passin on this 60? there is one other one that is $3200 with 132,000 miles on it, but its really clean. i would almost be afraid to take that offroad. but what do u guys think?

Ask for a compression test at the very least. Won't take over a half hour, and then you'll have a much better idea of the engine condition. A cylinder leak down test would be very helpful as well. Offer to pay half of the labor, it'd be worth it.
t

yea, right now, i would just try to slow it down. i know rust is impossible to stop. but later on down the road in 5-6 years when i decide to probably restore it, i want to have somewhat of a solid foundation.

i love to get a little grease on my hands whenever time and school permits.

well, im gonna look at it tommorow, and the only thing thats really itching me is the mileage that it has. i know if it hasnt been rebuilt, i am probably gonna be due for one soon. is there a place you guys know of on the net that sells used, rebuilt engines, or rebuild kits for a decent price? i know that im gonna have to get a whole bunch of stuff rebored, which will cost more $$. would i be better off passin on this 60? there is one other one that is $3200 with 132,000 miles on it, but its really clean. i would almost be afraid to take that offroad. but what do u guys think?

If you have the money, buy the lower mileage one. You'll spend close to that much difference rebuilding the engine, and still have rust and interior issues.

Ask for a compression test at the very least. Won't take over a half hour, and then you'll have a much better idea of the engine condition. A cylinder leak down test would be very helpful as well. Offer to pay half of the labor, it'd be worth it.
t
im thinkin about doin my own compression test. save the money. i'll let u guys know what i decided tommorow. im still lookin for some prices on a rebuild though. i went to cruiserparts.net and found that they had a few used engines for 850-900. seems like a decent deal.

well, i went back to look at it a final time yesterday. i got him to drop it down to $1000. the color is kinda a dark brown color and the paint finish feels like sandpaper. but there isnt too much rust. just on the wheel wells and the tailgate a little. it has surface rust on the frame, but i didnt see any major, unless its rusting from inside out. it has a major leak around the headgasket area of the engine. it is completely covered in yearss of oil buildup. the radiator has what looks like a jbweld patch on the front, but no leaks. transmission shifts nice and smooth (4 speed manual). it idles alright, but it really looks like all it needs is a goood tune up, and it'll run longer. it blows out a little bit of blue smoke when u first hit the gas. he knows what he has, and he told me that he'll probably take it to a salvage yard to sell the drivetrain for $1000. interior isnt too pretty. in reality all i would be payin for is a running, but ugly in paint cruiser. is it worth $1000 with 261,000 miles?

If you are in California that is a $500.00 rig.

If you are in the northeast or anywhere above I-40 then add $1 for every mile north of I-40. In MI or WI that would be a $1,800 rig.
actualy im in florida, so im not really above i40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom