Price of Steel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
mild steel, 3/16th thick , a 3 foot by 6 foot section... 300 bucks?!!

It's nuts. I bought a 2 foot section of 4" x 3" 1/8 inch wall. $20!!! That was a $5 piece a couple of years ago.

mild steel, 3/16th thick , a 3 foot by 6 foot section... 300 bucks?!!

how much does your invoice says it weights?

it has gone up 30% in the last year, i'm not sure how much in the last few months.

it's the price of scrap metal that is not helping either.

i hear that any day it will increase again.

how much does your invoice says it weights?

it has gone up 30% in the last year, i'm not sure how much in the last few months.

it's the price of s**** metal that is not helping either.

i hear that any day it will increase again.

275# +- on the invoice...

that 9/16 is spendy. I know, I order 100' at a time . Even then it's about 5.00 a foot. It's disproportionately high because it's a rare size (I pay less for my 1 1/4 .188 wall DOM.) I'm in AZ, the closest I've found it is at EM Jorgensons in Chicago.
As for standard steels, always try to find a use for full sheets. You get a better price
I pay 190.00. for 3/16 P&O ( pickled and oiled, acid dipped to remove scale) and about 160.00 for a standard 3/16 4x8 sheet. At 240lb per sheet that's around .65 per pound I was paying I was paying .52 per pound ar the beginning of last year

5' of 9/16" OD 11ga DOM- $25!
That's about 3# of steel.

It's all China's fault....

A 3x6 3/16 steel should weigh 130~140 pounds ( tolerance variations). It averages about 7.5 lb per square foot.....
275# ? you might point that one out to the retailer.. maybe they sold you depleted uranium
I will... I just know it was heavy

Just got my increase notices today. May 1st is a jump of nearly $.08/ lb. I've been calling all of my customers today to let them know it's coming. Word is that it won't stop increasing until late this year. It's a bad year to be in the steel business that's for damned sure. Especially when we rely on "bid" work that's priced based on market conditions at the time. I have over 500k tons commited out past the pending increases. Nothing sucks much more than telling your customers that you're planning on using that escalation clause in your contract... first time in the 13 years I've been in this business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom