****Canvas maintenance **** OEM Soft Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have just decided that this is the look I want for my bj42. Now who has one for sale. It has to have those cool rear doors. Just Like the red cruiser in the photos. Please email me

Jim,

The red Cruiser in this thread is my Cruiser..... the "cool rear doors" is actually a drop down tailgate. custom made but, uses OEM FJ45 latches and hardware:D

Jim,

The red Cruiser in this thread is my Cruiser..... the "cool rear doors" is actually a drop down tailgate. custom made but, uses OEM FJ45 latches and hardware:D

I think Jim was saying he loves the look of your rig....but....with really cool rear 'ambi' doors. That guy Jim has to be different all the time :)

FST manual
johnnyc manual1.jpg
johnnycmanual 2.jpg

Last edited:
this was an elusive top...but finally found a good pic of the bj41kyc Vinyl top rig...and a factory pic to boot.

neat set-up...you can roll up the rear panel or open as a door so you dont have to unlatch the spare carrier.

take a look :)
bj41kyc2.JPG

this was an elusive top...but finally found a good pic of the bj41kyc Vinyl top rig...and a factory pic to boot.

neat set-up...you can roll up the rear panel or open as a door so you dont have to unlatch the spare carrier.

take a look :)

that was a very cool idea. do you know how the bows were set up? i'm guessing there had to be some sort of frame for weatherstripping around the door?

that was a very cool idea. do you know how the bows were set up? i'm guessing there had to be some sort of frame for weatherstripping around the door?

I was told it flaped over...no support for the door...just unzip like you would a side panel....the door top panel was not able to separate from the rest of the top.

the door bows are about the same as our oem tops....but the rear is easily colapsed down

Where did you get your canvas top made?

one of a kind ....as of right now

Highlandcruzer may have a startup soon

see link:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/205028-u-s-soft-top-possibility-version-2-east-coast.html

Last edited:
mildew on canvas

My canvas top has mildew on it. I have researched the net and found two methods of removal:
1. 50/50 white vinegar. let dry wipe with dry rag.
2. 1 cup Lysol with 1 gal warm water. rinse with 1 cup salt 1 cup lemon to one gallon of water.
both methods say to start with a dry surface that has been brushed.
Anyone used these methods and if so results.

I have never had a problem with mildew..(dihard canvak user) ...but...i would say any mixture you put on canvas and then wipe will possibly wipe color away because the canvas is wet. never wipe hard, wet canvas.

Use a stiff brush to pick out the heavy mold (if any)...then try one of those methods in a small area..let it sit for 10 min at least...to kill it off.

I would also say when you do get all the mold off as best as possible..it could still have a dark stained area...then...use Canvak to treat the canvas...it is parifin based ...so it is water, MILDEW and also fire resistant.

johnny C do you have any close up pictures of how the amby doors bolt to the bows on the C-type models.. I won't be putting my top on anytime soon but the hinges bolt to two bows that go down from the rearmost bow to the tub and the top itself seals around those bows.. so is there a 'cut' in the fabric to put the hinges through.. or just two holes in the top to let the bolts go through to the bow on the inside?

...but the hinges bolt to two bows that go down from the rearmost bow to the tub and the top itself seals around those bows.. so is there a 'cut' in the fabric to put the hinges through.. or just two holes in the top to let the bolts go through to the bow on the inside?

There should be just holes for the bolts to go thru...your top from Ehsan probably doesnt have the holes untill you put them in...AFAIK....sooo...I would get the top to fit really well before punching thru for the exterior door hindge to bolt thru. You can use a common hand held hole punch...the hole will be a tad smaller ....but...the bolt will go thru and help lock it in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom