Ford E4OD question for a 94 Bronco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I have a 94 Ford Bronco with a 351W and an E4OD tranny. I have about 135K miles on it. The tranny shifts very slowly from 2nd to 3rd. Literally, it takes 2-3 seconds for it to finish shifting if I don't let off the accelerator. Shifting from second to third, it will drop a couple hundred RPMs and then about 1-2 seconds later it will drop another couple hundred RPMs and is then in 3rd gear (I hope this makes sense). I realize this tranny is on its way out, but I would like it to hold on awhile longer.

I was cheating on Mud by perusing another forum (gasp!) and someone had a similar problem. One of the suggestions was to drop the pan and put in a new tricumulator and sonnax valve. Anyone here have an opinion on this? I'm not very versed in auto trannies. Will this help? Any E4OD experts here? Links below:

Tricumulator - Tricumulator, E40D / 4R100, spring package *(A36926BK): Bulkpart transmission parts

Sonnax valve - Valve Kit, Accumulator Regulator , E40D: Bulkpart transmission parts

I also found on the same website this:

Sure cure kit - SURE CURE KIT, E4OD 89-UP(SONNAX): Bulkpart transmission parts

Will this accomplish the same thing or is it altogether different. I should mention that it also takes awhile for it to shift into reverse. That's what caught my eye on the "sure cure kit". I don't really want to tear into the tranny beyond dropping the pan. I did recently change the fluid with Valvoline high mileage ATF and put in a new filter. If I drop the pan again, I will put on a transmission cooler also.

Any advice?

Thanks!

:cheers:

Can't really advise you on what to do. But these are one of the better transmissions in the fords. Had one in my bronco, some sloppy shifting, and I installed a simple shift kit. For mine, it made it so much better. I was somewhere over 150k before it all went up in a fire (not tranny related).

I also got a deeper pan (B&M) with some synthetic juice. I thought the parts you listed were in the shift kit, it's been so long. I do remember a bunch of springs, solenoid looking thing, reaming some holes, nothing hard.

Good luck

Cool, thanks. Just out of curiousity, what is involved with installing a shift kit? Like I said, auto trannies are not my specialty. Is it something I can do by just dropping the pan, or do I need to remove the tranny? I've never torn into an auto tranny beyond changing the fluid and filter.

Thanks!

Cool, thanks. Just out of curiousity, what is involved with installing a shift kit? Like I said, auto trannies are not my specialty. Is it something I can do by just dropping the pan, or do I need to remove the tranny? I've never torn into an auto tranny beyond changing the fluid and filter.

Thanks!

It's actually very easy, drop the pan, remove the filter, then you unbolt a small piece (sorry, I can't remember the name), replace the springs, and some other stuff, put it back together. I'll check to see if I still have any of the paperwork for the proper terminology, it's been a while. But it is very easy, and worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom