Installing Sirius????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a Sirius subscriber on one of my other vehicles and Sirius offered me a free unit for another subscription. I want to install it in my '07 FJC. The input into the radio is no problem and the power is no problem(if I use the cig lighter), but the antenna placement is a head-scratcher. Says to install it on the rear of the roof, but how do you run the lead under the rubber floormat?

Anyone done something similar?

THX

Ed

I am a Sirius subscriber on one of my other vehicles and Sirius offered me a free unit for another subscription. I want to install it in my '07 FJC. The input into the radio is no problem and the power is no problem(if I use the cig lighter), but the antenna placement is a head-scratcher. Says to install it on the rear of the roof, but how do you run the lead under the rubber floormat?

Anyone done something similar?

THX

Ed

I mentioned this in another thread for XM, and I don't know if the Sirius antenna is small enough, but...

I installed my XM antenna under the plastic piece at the front edge of the hood. You will have to buy replacement clips because you have to break the existing clips to remove it, but they were only about $12.

Just remove the (~8) leading edge nuts, (2) back nuts and (~7, the center one is orange, the rest are blue) clips from under the hood. Take off the plastic piece.

Here's the fun part. Take a rubber mallet and bang a dent into a spot on top of the hood that was under the plastic, big enough for the antenna to fit after the plastic piece is re-installed. Put the antenna in the dent. Run the wire inside one of the hood gussets down to the hinge. Tape the wire to the hinge and run it down to the firewall so that it can't get pinched when closing the hood.

Run the wire thru the steering column rubber grommet, there is an extra nipple that can be cut to create a little pass thru hole. Then your wire will be under the dash in the drivers foot-well.

Check that the Sirius Radio works before putting the plastic piece back on the hood, in case there is a problem, you won't need more clips.

Then once the plastic piece is reattached you can't tell from the outside that you have Sirius, so less chance of someone breaking in your vehicle to get your radio. And no worries when washing. And the location is perfect for getting signal, even under a carport, as long as you back in.

how long is your antenna wire?

I mentioned this in another thread for XM, and I don't know if the Sirius antenna is small enough, but...

I installed my XM antenna under the plastic piece at the front edge of the hood. You will have to buy replacement clips because you have to break the existing clips to remove it, but they were only about $12.

Just remove the (~8) leading edge nuts, (2) back nuts and (~7, the center one is orange, the rest are blue) clips from under the hood. Take off the plastic piece.

Here's the fun part. Take a rubber mallet and bang a dent into a spot on top of the hood that was under the plastic, big enough for the antenna to fit after the plastic piece is re-installed. Put the antenna in the dent. Run the wire inside one of the hood gussets down to the hinge. Tape the wire to the hinge and run it down to the firewall so that it can't get pinched when closing the hood.

Run the wire thru the steering column rubber grommet, there is an extra nipple that can be cut to create a little pass thru hole. Then your wire will be under the dash in the drivers foot-well.

Check that the Sirius Radio works before putting the plastic piece back on the hood, in case there is a problem, you won't need more clips.

Then once the plastic piece is reattached you can't tell from the outside that you have Sirius, so less chance of someone breaking in your vehicle to get your radio. And no worries when washing. And the location is perfect for getting signal, even under a carport, as long as you back in.

Thanks! Exactly what I need:cheers: Antenna is quite small and flat.

how long is your antenna wire?
Plenty long enough to go from back to front, just did not know how to fish it under the plastic/rubber floorpan.

Thanks all!

Ed

ok because i was going to say that you could run the wire like they would for a sub through the side panels or you could even run it underneath the truck which is what i did for my CB antenna.

Is there another way to connect directly to the radio w/o using the little input plug? The reason I ask is that when I installed my hitch and wiring, it was all there, just plug-n-play. Kinda like the second horn.

Ed

The most finicky things about sat radio installs is to be careful not to crimp or pinch the "micro-coaxial" cable leading to the antenna. That's the #1 cause of poor reception/no reception.

Plus the micro-coax connectors can be a little fragile and you really don't want to be connecting/disconnecting them frequently.

Perhaps you could sell your new radio to someone and get the box that integrates with the FJammer...you comprimise on the display, but then it's all integrated into your radio/CD player.

I've been running my Sirus Radio for over a year w/ no problem. I mounted the unit on the console in the little recessed change tray behind the shifters (I have the MT6). I dropped the antenna wire into the console and along the bottom glove box door support using zip ties. Then behind the kick panel on the passenger side, thru/under the weatherstripping on the door and up the recess in the windshield frame. Antenna sits on the roof on the passenger side - no problems and a 10 -15 minute install.

Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom