Note to self: when taking the 80 to the desert in the spring, don't forget to... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
:whoops: -after not having used the A/C for several months- don't forget to check to make sure the darn thing is still filled up enough so it cools things down a bit for when you have :princess:s in the truck...

Have this tiny leak upfront, but it's much easier to just add a $8 can every other year or so than to empty everything and replace the Oring.... now if I would just have remembered to do that before heading out in the Sonoran with (mild) temps of 100+ .... :eek:

had a great time... :)

Uh-oh. Thought you were heading to Anza-Borrego? Sonoran sounds Mexican to me, no? And how about some pics?

yup, AB. But if I'm not mistaken, it is part of the Sonoran Desert. Isn't JTNP right at the northern edge of the Colorado desert part of the Sonoran desert? Either way, it was hot... Sunscreen de rigueur....

:whoops: I thought I had majored in Geography...;) Is there a lot to wheeling to do in AB? Last time I drove there it was a bit flat and sandy with lots of buggyheads.

:whoops: I thought I had majored in Geography...;) Is there a lot to wheeling to do in AB? Last time I drove there it was a bit flat and sandy with lots of buggyheads.

it's very nice if you know where to go, but we better not go too much non-tech here .

Tech: great to have a good temp gauge in the desert when you use the A/C so as to know when to turn it off! And ATF too!

Great tip - I just topped off my AC as well in anticipation of hotter times ahead.

Non-tech: there are some great trails in AnzaBorrego. Give the trail up to Sheep's Canyon a shot - fun river crossing and a half mile of moderate crawling lead to super private camping (tables, firepits, pit toilets) in a beautiful valley with flowing water.

Did they have the fuel pump relay figured out by 97? I know that my buddy who has a 93 carries extras in his glove box. He has not done the "Heavy Wire" upgrade yet. His only goes out when he is doing light wheeling.

well hell e why didn't you take your 100?

Ah, AB - I recall the good old days when you could go all the way through Coyote Canyon. Spent many a day wandering around out there with the Cruiser and my future wife.

DougM

Great tip - I just topped off my AC as well in anticipation of hotter times ahead.

Non-tech: there are some great trails in AnzaBorrego. Give the trail up to Sheep's Canyon a shot - fun river crossing and a half mile of moderate crawling lead to super private camping (tables, firepits, pit toilets) in a beautiful valley with flowing water.

well, they just fixed up a bit the rocky slope up to Sheep Canyon a bit. Good for us wider rigs although less interesting. Widened and smoothed up a tad. So more riff raff up there for a while now? :D

Did they have the fuel pump relay figured out by 97? I know that my buddy who has a 93 carries extras in his glove box. He has not done the "Heavy Wire" upgrade yet. His only goes out when he is doing light wheeling.

no relay issue here. Don't remember that being a big one. But now that you mentioned it, it will probably conk out... great! thanks! :)

well hell e why didn't you take your 100?

actually it would do great on the majority of the trails and washes. But no, I take the manly rig whenever possible :) Plus I wanted to see if I could make it to Heart Attack Hill and you don't take the :princess:'s rig there if you value your life... :eek: :D

Ah, AB - I recall the good old days when you could go all the way through Coyote Canyon. Spent many a day wandering around out there with the Cruiser and my future wife.

DougM

Now they closed it so the bighorn can do *their* thing with their future wives! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you add the $8 can of ??? Freon? The system is under pressure,so how do you do it.Mine has not worked for years.Going through the central valley on the way to the Sierra's last summer was hell w/ the:princess: ,kids& dog.
Thanks,John

How do you add the $8 can of ??? Freon? The system is under pressure,so how do you do it.Mine has not worked for years.Going through the central valley on the way to the Sierra's last summer was hell w/ the:princess: ,kids& dog.
Thanks,John

well, that would be cuz the 134 in the can is at higher pressure than the low pressure side of the a/c system, I imagine...

ever heard of the multi quote feature e.....................

it's very nice if you know where to go, but we better not go too much non-tech here .

Tech: great to have a good temp gauge in the desert when you use the A/C so as to know when to turn it off! And ATF too!

Something that puzzle me is to know if there is a real difference between the radiators on the USA spec cruisers and ours or at least mine, because a couple of years ago I had to replace mine and the our radiator parts supplier send me a USA spec non Mr. T radiator which I returned right away because the core was thinner than mine.

Of course I bought our OEM Toyota radiator.

The reason of my question is that no matter how hard I pushed my cruiser with the air condition and the refrigerator console on, or how extremely hot was our weather, I never saw my temperature gauge going up (besides the usual not so good A/C cooling for the rear passengers)

Something that puzzle me is to know if there is a real difference between the radiators on the USA spec cruisers and ours or at least mine, because a couple of years ago I had to replace mine and the our radiator parts supplier send me a USA spec non Mr. T radiator which I returned right away because the core was thinner than mine.

Of course I bought our OEM Toyota radiator.

The reason of my question is that no matter how hard I pushed my cruiser with the air condition and the refrigerator console on, or how extremely hot was our weather, I never saw my temperature gauge going up (besides the usual not so good A/C cooling for the rear passengers)

I don't know about differences in US specs vs others, but it's been amply discussed here that the OEM temp gauge has a huge flat spot and is worthless if you want to see variations in engine temp until the point where you are in the way up there potential trouble zone, at which point it will finally begin to move and hit the red possibly in a short time.

I don't know about differences in US specs vs others, but it's been amply discussed here that the OEM temp gauge has a huge flat spot and is worthless if you want to see variations in engine temp until the point where you are in the way up there potential trouble zone, at which point it will finally begin to move and hit the red possibly in a short time.

Yep I know that, but also I never saw my transmission light on, I was thinking that somebody that access to the parts number like CDAN could confirm if the USA spec radiator is the same as the others.

Unfortunately the only imported 80 series cruisers I seen here are the olders with the 3FE engine and several turbo diesel so is not the same to compare them.

And ours didn't came with the additional external transmission oil cooler like in the states because we don't have the tow culture or at least is quite uncommon to pull heavy trailers.

Last edited:

DougM
I'm jealous. Still a fun little trail to a great camp site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom