Knuckle Housing Grease Or Oil? (1 Viewer)

Grease or Gear Oil?

• 90 weight gear oil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.advisorsil.com
76 TOYOTA LC just did a spring over /spring flip/cut and turn . now that im getting ready to put it back together, I have people telling me different things..

I know that in the Diff I need to put 90gear oil .... but what am i supposed to use in the knuckle housing??? I have a couple people telling me 90weight oil and another couple of people telling me grease...

what is needed??

thanks in advance

Molybdenum disulphide grease...

Yep, grease! I got my missus work to rebuild my swivel hubs for me as I didn't have the time or space to do them. (she works at a Landrover Dealership)....Anyway, supposely they fill the swivel hubs on landrovers with oil so they did it on the FJ. What a bloody mess! Was looking forward to no more leaks and they made it worse!

I eventually drained them by pulling the stud out of one of the bottom king pins, but had to pull them down again anyway to regrease them properly.

The Land Rover swivel balls are cromed so they have a very smooth surface which allows for a better seal. That's why they use oil instead of grease. Over time they pit and get pretty leaky, but they are replaceable, at least on the series rovers, I don't know about the newer stuff.

who is telling you oil? neve listen to them for advice again...

just did a spring over /spring flip/cut and turn. now that im getting ready to put it back together, I have people telling me different things..

I know that in the Diff I need to put 90gear oil .... but what am i supposed to use in the knuckle housing??? I have a couple people telling me 90weight oil and another couple of people telling me grease...

what is needed??

What does it say in the FSM for your vehicle?:doh:

Yes grease, ey ey eye(sp)....

Thanks to the incorrect knuckle shims, mine eventually gets filled with gear oil. ;p

Thanks to the incorrect knuckle shims, mine eventually gets filled with gear oil. ;p

you best check you axle seals
get some heavy duty marlin ones

The Land Rover swivel balls are cromed so they have a very smooth surface which allows for a better seal. That's why they use oil instead of grease. Over time they pit and get pretty leaky, but they are replaceable, at least on the series rovers, I don't know about the newer stuff.

They also use a conventional oil seal assembly instead of the felt and wiper affair. The pitting of the replaceable chromed swivel ball can be controlled somewhat by the installation of leather gaiters. They also use u-joints in the front knuckles that do not have seals around the needle bearing caps, so that the gear oil can properly splash lubricate these components.

Using gear oil in a Land Cruiser front knuckle will make for one large mess as the sealing components for the knuckle are not designed to keep gear oil in the knuckle, which is very obvious when your inner axle seal starts leaking.

:beer:

Thats what I am wondering April Fools... Gear Oil come on now... let the drive way or garage fill...

oil is better for keeping it cool, but the design of the cruiser axles won't keep oil in. you'll have to grease it.

you best check you axle seals
get some heavy duty marlin ones

For us one :banana: mechanics, this is a safe way to go if you don't set up the knuckles properly w/ the *correct tool & sizes of shims. :bang: :hillbilly:

Hi All:

X2 what "Zulu" wrote!

Regards,

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
who is telling you oil? never listen to them for advice again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom