Any 2F desmog pros local? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up Gary Schmauch's FJ60. It has a ton of nice parts on it and seems very solid. It runs ok, but I think it has a lot of room for improvement. I'm thinking about doing a complete desmog on it, to simplify the engine compartment visually and mechanically. I will then send my carb and distributor off to to JimC for rebuilds and a recurve. So, is anyone local to Reading who is real knowledgable to doing a complete desmog on a 2F? I'm pretty sure I could figure it out myself, but it would be nice to have someone who has done it before and knows what to watch out for. Any experienced desmoggers out there who want to help out a new 60 series owner?

I just picked up Gary Schmauch's FJ60.

Man, you must be really strong!

Congratulations ! :) Sorry, no real help here. Please remember to save all your stuff. My county won't pass it without. I'm sure your gunna hear lots of opinions about this mod. I'm no tree hugger, but many seem to think de-smogging doesn't do much. Did you check for vac leaks and do a full tuneup? Otherwise search the main site and check the TECH section.

again congrat's nice rig.

bob

You may want to check into PA's historic/antique registration. In MD, if registered as historic there are no inspections or smog checks, only use restrictions. But we all know that wheeling is a club activity!

Please let us know what you find. Jim C is also a source for smog q's.

I happen to have a brother who is an inspection mechanic, so I think I can pull that off. I'm not completely set on desmogging it yet. It has just been my experience that older vehicles smog systems cause nothing but problems. It would be nice to pop the hood and not see all of those vacuum lines and little gizmos everywhere. That said, if I can get it running satisfactorily with all of the smog crap in place, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Desmogged would give me less to maintain too though, and less to troubleshoot when problems arise.

Whan I had my 60. The PO couldn't figure out whay it would shut off after it was warm when in dRive. Otherwise it drove fine. It ended up being the EGR valve gasket..

bob

I will consult with JimC, I sent him an email but haven't heard back yet. Is email the best way to contact him? I was just hoping to find someone who had desmogged a 60 successfully. Seems it would be a lot easier to have someone who has done it or even have a desmogged 60 to look at. I have seen the diagrams on here, but it still seems like a bit of a headscratcher. The last thing I want to do is give myself a non running 60.

Agreed, unless the PO lets it expire and then you try to get it re-inspected it after you've bought it. Ask me how I know. $150 later.

bob

I'm no tree hugger, and I hate govt involvement.

I was just hoping to find someone who had desmogged a 60 successfully. Seems it would be a lot easier to have someone who has done it or even have a desmogged 60 to look at. I have seen the diagrams on here, but it still seems like a bit of a headscratcher. The last thing I want to do is give myself a non running 60.

just start plucking stuff:bounce::popcorn: that was my approach, when it started running poorly i camr here to figure out what was going on..then i plucked some more.
need headers yet, then i can yank the rest. get jimc to do a carb and dissy and i'll be good.
still wading in to it to make sure i can get it through smog. if i have no problems in a month or so, it's on to the headers.
weber2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom