Underhood welder ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.roamingazexpeditions.com
I want a underhood welder for my 80 series but not sure if I can get a alternator that is 160 amp and extenally regulated.
Any suggestions would help me a bunch.If I was to make a custom bracket and put in a GM delco style alternator what mods to the electrical system woud I have to make ?:confused:

Intersting you should post this....cause this will be on of the first mods I do on an 80 when I get one...I have the complete Premier Power Welder set up in the garage...was on my 60 and used it once but that one time was really cool...I will see what you find if anything prior to me getting an 80...

I made the 420 mile roundtrip to pick up my welder in lake havasu. I couldn't pass up a deal like this. It is a older link arc brand with arc and full tig welding setup complete with custom aliuminum argon tank.it was from a backup score chase truck and never used. I need to know if I can just have my altanator rebuilt to handle this welder.

Check with Christo he had a welder set up on the short bus I believe.

I made the 420 mile roundtrip to pick up my welder in lake havasu. I couldn't pass up a deal like this. It is a older link arc brand with arc and full tig welding setup complete with custom aliuminum argon tank.it was from a backup score chase truck and never used. I need to know if I can just have my altanator rebuilt to handle this welder.

Remove the internal voltage regulator and utilize just the brush-holder. The alternator needs to be set up as B-circuit or brushes isolated to work with the Link-Arc. You don't need the alternator "rebuilt to handle the welder"....just configured properly and the internal components in good shape.

Scott

Remove the internal voltage regulator and utilize just the brush-holder. The alternator needs to be set up as B-circuit or brushes isolated to work with the Link-Arc. You don't need the alternator "rebuilt to handle the welder"....just configured properly and the internal components in good shape.

Scott

Glad to hear somebody that knows something! I called Premier power welder today and they told me that they would have to call me back and I never got a call back. I was told this welder is at least 15 years old but it has never been used other to test it out , then it was removed from the chase truck and stored. I dont see how anything would deteriate from age, all the cables look good ?
So give me a little more details on how to make my alternator set up to work with this welder. I understand most auto electric and do all my own work on my Cruiser, I am just confused a little on the altenator issue.
I would need to make this a high output altenator and I assume it needs to be wired different to hook up to the welder, how would I wire the voltage regulator if I removed it?
See I told you I was confused !!:confused:

:beer: thanks for the info though

I might be able to stuff the welder under the hood if I move around some wires...but where am I supposed to mount the bottle?

IMG_0672.jpg

I might be able to stuff the welder under the hood if I move around some wires...but where am I supposed to mount the bottle?

IMG_0672.jpg

yup, just relocate your battery and maybe the wiper wash tank and that thing should fit like a glove :idea:

I was told I should check out Copper State Cruiser's but I cant seem to find anything.Got a link ?:beer:

Glad to hear somebody that knows something! I called Premier power welder today and they told me that they would have to call me back and I never got a call back. I was told this welder is at least 15 years old but it has never been used other to test it out , then it was removed from the chase truck and stored. I dont see how anything would deteriate from age, all the cables look good ?
So give me a little more details on how to make my alternator set up to work with this welder. I understand most auto electric and do all my own work on my Cruiser, I am just confused a little on the altenator issue.
I would need to make this a high output altenator and I assume it needs to be wired different to hook up to the welder, how would I wire the voltage regulator if I removed it?
See I told you I was confused !!:confused:

:beer: thanks for the info though

The Link-arc (and Premier) works with a B-circuit configured alternator, so take your alternator out and remove the voltage regulator. If one brush is tied to ground internall, that's fine, connect a wire to the other brush and bring it out of the alternator. If both brushes are isolated, bring both brushes outside the alternator with wires, and ground one brush externally and switch the field with the other brush. Follow the intstructions on the links below. Forget about re-wiring the alternator for greater output....too much brain-damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom