1973 FJ40 Sound Deadening project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys, I thought I would share some of my sound deadening I have done on my 1973 fj40. I will be the first to tell you that making an fj40 quiet is not an easy task if not impossible. However, if you take your time and do it right, you can achieve good results.

The first thing to do is seal up the firewall. This is very important, because heat and noise can come right through any openings. If you are doing a body off restoration you may want to apply a heat blocker to the engine compartment. I did not think about this until after the truck was back together is why I didn’t do that. Once you are happy with the firewall being sealed it is time to address the floor and interior firewall. You will need to take the seats out and anything that is in your way. I used a wax and grease remover from napa (15250) to clean the surface to allow for better adhesion.

Now that everything is out and the surface is clean it is time to apply some deadener. But what kind? First of all there is no one single product that will do everything you need. So you will need to use a multi layer approach for best results. I have used various other products over the years, but it had been awhile since using them and wanted to see what was on the market now. After a lot of researching I found that Rammatt BXT seamed to be a very good butyl based mat that was within my budget. So I ordered the following from Rick at rammaudio to do the firewall and floor:

1 roll Rammatt BXT (62.6 sqft)
4 yards ensolite sound (56 sqft)

For the doors I had previously picked up 20 sqft of second skin damplifier dampening mat, which was enough to do the outer door skin and inner skin.

The rammatt is a peal and stick application that works very well. Once that is applied you can apply a layer of ensolite on top of that. Some recommend using a spray adhesive, but I found that in the fj40 simply overlapping and taping the seams worked very well. On vertical surfaces the adhesive will come in handy. I applied two layers of deadening and ensolite to the firewall and transmission hump. After the ensolite I had some 5/8” jute that I had in the truck previously that I applied. Then installed the carpet and I was ready to put in the amp rack, subwoofer, console, and seats I had removed earlier.

Next I did the doors. As you can see in the picture I used 1/8” plastic sheet to cover the opening in the door skin to help block noise, but more importantly to help achieve better bass response from my 7” midbass drivers I installed in the doors. Then I applied approx. 10 sq ft of damplifier to the inner and outer door skins. This made a world of difference. When you shut the door now you are greeted by a solid thud, which is reminiscent of high end luxury cars.

So how much of a difference did it make? Well, it is much much quieter than it was before. I can actually have a conversation in a normal speaking voice while traveling at 65 mph which simply was not possible before without yelling. Rear end and transfer case noise now is greatly reduced. Does it sound like a Mercedes? No, and it never will but it is much more pleasurable to drive for extended periods now. I think this is a worthwhile investment for those looking to quite down there 40. Thanks for reading and now for the pictures.

10pzsev.jpg

2cd9w0x.jpg

m9mycj.jpg

24dgg1z.jpg

2j61yjl.jpg

35i0pqs.jpg

21obsqq.jpg

34i3282.jpg

2jepcgo.jpg

Last edited:
once water or mud penetrates, it will sit underneath creating rust. I've dynatmatted all my cars, but I couldn't image doing this to my 40, I really love the raw metal look. I guess I've grown accustomed to all the squeeks and rattles. To each his own I guess.
:meh:

What happens to this material if it gets wet?

why should it ?

I'll either close the softtop or throw a tarp over the whole rig

I have the same insulation felt mat, but went with the sticky adhesive for the firewall underneath it. My whole tub is rustbulleted.

I wish I could find a fitting grommet for the speedo cable hole in the firewall, though - the silicone that holds my home-made one comes off in the AZ heat :frown:

What climate control unit is that? Does it have A/C

Its a vintage air unit that I installed last August. It works very well and is part of the reason I wanted to seal out the heat so it works more efficiently.

What happens to this material if it gets wet?

The ensolite is water resistant. I guess water could get under the rammatt, but it does form a nice seal so it would be tough. I would recommend that any who does this, takes the time to weatherproof as much as possible before hand. Mine has a hardtop and probably always will so the door seals are my biggest concern.

Hey Cronic,
Your rig looks great, real clean. You do real nice work and although it isn't what a lot of these guys are doing with their 40's the craftsmanship is quality. Mine is pretty much an on-road (trip to the grocery store) driver and I will probably try to do some similar stuff to make it more comfortable....nice job.:cheers:

Hey Cronic,
Your rig looks great, real clean. You do real nice work and although it isn't what a lot of these guys are doing with their 40's the craftsmanship is quality. Mine is pretty much an on-road (trip to the grocery store) driver and I will probably try to do some similar stuff to make it more comfortable....nice job.:cheers:

Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words. Mine is a daily driver so I want to make it as comfortable as possible. :)

What carpet kit are you using? I think it looks good. I think most people here at MUD dont use thier rigs as DD's. If your the kind of person who worries about busting birfs, then this isn't for you...

As for me, I want my rig to be as comfortable as possible for a 40. I will prob follow you down this road... Good work...

Looks great! What is going on in the rear bed? Do you plan to carpet it back there as well?

It's so shinny. ;)

Yes its shinny, It is base coat/clear coat to match everything else. The area directly behind the seats where the normal drop down is where I made my amp rack. I built up the rear bed 1.5" to make everything set flush. I will be doing a custom rear carpet and will be carpeting the rear wheel wells as soon as I get some carpet to match what I have in there now. This way it will look like a flat bed when the carpet is down, hiding the amp rack. I will post up some pics of the amp and how all that works when I get home tonight.

What carpet kit are you using? I think it looks good. I think most people here at MUD dont use thier rigs as DD's. If your the kind of person who worries about busting birfs, then this isn't for you...

As for me, I want my rig to be as comfortable as possible for a 40. I will prob follow you down this road... Good work...

The carpet kit I think I got from JT outfitters 5 or 6 years ago. I will look through my receipts and let you know for sure.

Cronic.......you upholstered right over the clutch pedal!;)

I'd like to see the amp rack....any pics?

I just added a picture of the amp rack to the first post. Thanks for your interest. :)
I will get a better picture as soon as I get the intake and exhaust fans installed with the voltage controllers.

That's a very nice job! Congrats.. and thanx for the inspiration. I have a very loud piggy that's going to stay quiet real soon!!! Please post more images!!! :)

Last edited:
Its a vintage air unit that I installed last August. It works very well and is part of the reason I wanted to seal out the heat so it works more efficiently.

Where did you pick up the Vintage Air unit ? Looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom