little help looking over a bj42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
little help looking over a bj42 ***PICS***

Just looking threw a few photos a seller sent me and need some thoughts. check out the rear mostly for me.

thanks

100_1357.jpg

100_1380.jpg

100_1354.jpg

Last edited:
looks like it was undercoated at some point. I think that is the black thats flaking off.

A good point is that the seller seems to be honest (in giving you clear images of "areas of concern"). That means his/her price should be fair too.

:cheers:

anyone know whats hanging in the breeze mounted to the rubber mount in the first picture?

Last edited:
so nothing deal breaking here then eh

You'll probably find it's either got "no exhaust fitted at all" or that it has a "shorty exhaust" that pokes out the side somewhere nearer the front.

That hanger at the rear is where the stock exhaust tailpipe should hang.

ok found a frame issue in the pictures. doesnt look to hard to fix. what is everyones thoughts on this ?

100_1378.jpg

100_1381.jpg

ok found a frame issue in the pictures. doesnt look to hard to fix. what is everyones thoughts on this?

Serious frame rust that requires immediate attention and that would be difficult to fix without both good skills and good equipment (and the body needs to be removed first).

(If you want my 2 cents.)

It is nothing unfixable. The rear of those truck mostly end up like this. Check the thickness of the frame boxed overlapped near the transfer case. a picture from inside out to see how thick the inner channel with round holes has become.

I just did that exact repair on the rear of mine, granted it wasn't that bad, this one will required frame cutting and replacing with steel and two new spring hangers.

are you looking for a truck you do not wand to put major repair and run it or you are ready to do a fair amount of work. From looking at the rear, this truck needs to have the body removed and frame repair and repainted. Or you can do just like i did.

See this post
IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - Winter projects on your rig?

A welder, a grinder, and some steel is all you really need. took me 3 weeks working some nights and i was done. If you need more picture just let me know.

And check this thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/196909-rear-diag-cross-member-question.html

Last edited:
eleblanc , great post thanks. im not afraid of the metal work, and your posts will help alot. ill get back to all of you about this.

I think you may have a can of worms here. If you got that much rot in areas you can actually see I can imaging what will be waiting for you when actually start working on it. Count on replacing the frame when making the deal. Anything is fixable.....how much work are you willing to do is the question you need ask your self.

I think you may have a can of worms here. If you got that much rot in areas you can actually see I can imaging what will be waiting for you when actually start working on it. Count on replacing the frame when making the the deal.

you'd be suprise how the front hold up in the diesel ones, On my truck up to the rear of the TC is very good, then the inner channel flange gets thicker, after that to problematic area is after the shock cross member.

Actually I have been impress on how well they hold up in harsh enviroments. I had a 74 where the rot was on both frame rails near the trannny/tcase area. I ended up locating free a frame for it :). The hardest part was traveling 800 miles for it but it was well worth it. Point I'm trying to make is expect the worst(I hope not) that way you don't get disappointed when actually see in person.

Based on those pic's i don't see anything that suggests a new frame. Cut the rot section out, grind and fit a new piece of metal, and weld. I do agree that you should pull the tub. Then you have clear access to the rolling chassis. Cover the engine and assessories, and sand blast the whole thing. Bucket of por-15 slopped into every orfice and the world will be out of oil before anyrust issues become a problem.Good luck.

i dont know , why do you ask , whats the give away? you ever get smoke out of your bj like this on start up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom