Building shed work space. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am starting to build a 12x16 shed that I have profiled off of this Tuff Shed at Home depot TUFF SHED: Storage Buildings, Garages, and Custom Buildings are Built to Last

I want the outside to look like an everyday shed but with nice upgraded to match the house.

Changes or additions,

• Concrete foundation *Pre existing
  • 36" steel prehung door *$129 Depot
  • Key less dead bolt entry *$99 Depot
  • 2x6 window to match house *$100 Depot
  • 2x4 Velux sky light *$100 Craigslist new
  • Full insulation
  • 12'x3' work table.
  • Power with heat, outlets and lights.
  • Ceiling fan
  • 12" Hardy Plank
  • Gutters with chain down spouts.
  • 4' archway for front door.
  • Pull down stair case.
  • Architectural roofing
  • 4" wall height increase
  • exhaust fan
All for under $3000.00

What else to ad for a man cave?

Shane

Gotta have a pisser. At least a sink. Easier than you think, especially if you have a sewer clean out in the back yard.

-Spike

a plasma with an HD feed..................

a keg.

This month's issue of Fine Homebuilding has a great article on building sheds. Lots of good tips and tricks to speed up the job.

I'd go for a lot of overhead storage like a loft on both ends with high ceilings in the middle. You can use a caster with the wheel removed to make a swivel point to turn a cheap wooden ladder into a railing - the rail swings down on the pivot made from a caster and turns into a ladder to get into the loft. My friend did this is in his shed and it makes getting up there an easy task.

Put a ridge vent in to keep air from getting stale in there. Maybe an attic fan with a thermo switch to keep the hot air moving out. I guess it's not that warm up there though.

You can get little window unit air conditioners that also heat. Cost a few bucks, but very nice.

Check this:

YouTube - The Ultimate Blokes Shed

-Stumbaugh

I would put a 10ft rollup door in the 12ft side. Never know what you may want to put in there; mowers, cruiser tops, small trailer, or even the cruiser. Only a couple hundred more than the door you planned on. Put the entry door on the side.

Yea, a great link.

You can also special order exterior doors that swing out instead of in. More common in Europe than the states, they are great for sheds because they don't take up any interior room to open. Only con is the hinges are exposed so they should be tamper proof.

It makes a big differences as you can put a cart or mower in there and then shut the door vs having to leave room for the door to swing closed.

Same idea as the roll up door Kowboy suggested - takes up less interior room. A cheaper alternative to a roll up with be a sliding door on a track like you see on steel buildings and barns. Also conserves a lot of room.

-Stumbaugh

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty sweet setup! I would agree with others that a toilet and large overhead or sliding door would be really nice for not much more $.

What are you planning for power?

what r ya gonna finish the interior out in / cover the insulation w/ ?? I used T-111 in one of my buildings and it looked great. my 2c.

another vote for water in/out. good thing I live on 2 acres in the woods, that's all I'm saying..... :hillbilly:

3/4" plywood is the best interior wall material I've ever used. Hang anything anywhere. You can find scraps cheap on Craigslist sometimes- I've done 2 walls of my shop this way, 10' high by 70' long. Free.

-Spike

Gotta have a pisser. At least a sink. Easier than you think, especially if you have a sewer clean out in the back yard.

-Spike

No sewer in the back, the foundation was included in a pour that was done a year ago in the back corner.

a plasma with an HD feed..................

a keg.

Not a drinker at home and will have another PC with a mounted flat panel for movies and music.

I'd go for a lot of overhead storage like a loft on both ends with high ceilings in the middle.

Put a ridge vent in to keep air from getting stale in there. Maybe an attic fan with a thermo switch to keep the hot air moving out. I guess it's not that warm up there though.

You can get little window unit air conditioners that also heat. Cost a few bucks, but very nice.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CBipvRO0Y

-Stumbaugh

I need to stick a vent on top or above the door (will have covered entry) It was a bit muggy today with the propane heater fired up.

I would put a 10ft roll up door in the 12ft side. Never know what you may want to put in there; mowers, cruiser tops, small trailer, or even the cruiser. Only a couple hundred more than the door you planned on. Put the entry door on the side.

This is not for working on cars, it is business office shop of sorts. I put in a Jeld Wen 36" steel in swing with an electronic deadbolt and lock less handle knob so I cant lock myself out.

Yea, a great link.

You can also special order exterior doors that swing out instead of in. More common in Europe than the states, they are great for sheds because they don't take up any interior room to open. Only con is the hinges are exposed so they should be tamper proof.

It makes a big differences as you can put a cart or mower in there and then shut the door vs having to leave room for the door to swing closed.

Same idea as the roll up door Kowboy suggested - takes up less interior room. A cheaper alternative to a roll up with be a sliding door on a track like you see on steel buildings and barns. Also conserves a lot of room.

-Stumbaugh

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty sweet setup! I would agree with others that a toilet and large overhead or sliding door would be really nice for not much more $.

What are you planning for power?

110 I ran into the stem wall to the left of the door.

what r ya gonna finish the interior out in / cover the insulation w/ ?? I used T-111 in one of my buildings and it looked great. my 2c.

another vote for water in/out. good thing I live on 2 acres in the woods, that's all I'm saying..... :hillbilly:

No water, I did use T1-11 on the sides that face the fence and 12" Hardi on the other two that face the house and yard so it match's

Some pictures.
PICT5323.jpg
PICT5324.jpg
PICT5325.JPG

staple some chicken wire or metal cloth to hold the batts in place....nice work

I am thinking about this 1/4 inch board that home depot sells that is like a dry erase board. cover all the walls in it so I can write.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom