Temp gauge readings off??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A problem just crept up on my 91 cruiser. The temp gauge creeps up to a little below red then drops while sitting in gear. The funny thing is that it shows no under hood symptoms of being overly hot. The fan clutch even dropped in rpm once when it showed over mid point. I don't think it is the clutch because it seems to be moving a lot of air. I am thinking it was my low budget repair of the bypass hoses with unformed hose that is somewhat kinked. Would this cause excessive heat around the temp. sensor and give false readings? I have a new radiator as well, so that is not an issue.

not sure what the prob may be, but never trust a toyota temp gauge. Apart from a big flat spot in them, may be a bit of steam build up near the sensor

that is exactly what mine did. replaced the guage and sensor just to be safe. no more problems

not sure what the prob may be, but never trust a toyota temp gauge. Apart from a big flat spot in them, may be a bit of steam build up near the sensor

The "flat spot" is contained to 93-97 FZJ's. The OP has a 91.

The "flat spot" is contained to 93-97 FZJ's.

You sure about that?

I know Raven's temp gauge observations and resulting mod apply to 93-97, but I'll bet 91-92's have a pretty big dead spot in the center as well. I've never checked though...

My '84 Cressida has a "real" gauge, and it's amazing how much it moves. For example, just opening the heater valve and letting that cold coolant into the system will even register slightly/temporarily. Whereas on the Cruiser, it simply warms up to the center of the gauge and then just sticks.

Curtis

You sure about that?

I know Raven's temp gauge observations and resulting mod apply to 93-97, but I'll bet 91-92's have a pretty big dead spot in the center as well. I've never checked though...

My '84 Cressida has a "real" gauge, and it's amazing how much it moves. For example, just opening the heater valve and letting that cold coolant into the system will even register slightly/temporarily. Whereas on the Cruiser, it simply warms up to the center of the gauge and then just sticks.

Curtis

90% sure.

I've watched my temp gauge move up from the center and not overheat. It was a hot day.

Also during cold mornings, it reads lower than center until I've driven around for a while.

But I could be wrong. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom