The WOODGRAIN is DEAD! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to give an endorsment (no, im not affiliated) to the 3M wood grain remover product.
I had tried just about every way I could think of to get the woodgrain decal off of my rig.
The single BEST and EASIEST way that I had found was by using the 3M stuff. There is a trick that I found...
Apply the stuff pretty heavy let it sit on there for about 10 min. Grab a hair dryer and a pair of jersey gloves (the gloves protect your hands from the heat). Begin heating a section of the decal with the stuff on, then start rolling the crap off as you would with rubber cement, just keep the heat to it...Took me about an hour to do 2 door panels where it took me HOURS and HOURS (no Im not exagerating) using any other method.
Now, the stuff is PRICY...31 bucks a can from NAPA...I burned through 4 of them, applying it, letting it sit, then try to scrape it off, before I used the method described above.
This also takes off a LOT of the adhesive residue as well with it.
I might also add that it had NO effect on my paint.

Now, this may be elementry to some, but Ill have to be honest...Im not terribly bright, so this was a very big find for me to figure this out.

This is just an FYI for anyone who cares to know it!
I wish that Id have known it earlier...

Hope this will help someone somewhere!

Chicago

NOOOOOO!!!! Not the woodgrain!

Well, that settles it - you got woodgrain REMOVER, I'll have to grab a roll of imitation oak and go to town on my rig! :D

You had woodgrain?! I didn't know it was possible! Why would you ever remove such a thing!

I was thinking that you should have just changed it to faux carbon fiber :p

That is what I want to do on my rig some day.

Another loss to our faux forests. You should be ashamed. I hope a hippy comes over and protests.

Don't worry, I'm only a block away.

...currently organizing a rally and possible sit-in in his driveway... (of course realizing the hilarity and irony of Chicago's massive 62 backing over a kum-bay-ya circle..)

Now that the wood's gone, it's time for some DISCO STRIPES!!!!!!

A sad day :crybaby:... well at least give us a naked pic :eek: glad to know about the 3 M stuff I got remove the Dico strip to paint mine

I am VERY ashamed of myself killing the poor innocent woodgrain like that, but it just had to be done in light of the contrasting color clash that was happening between the blue, black and wood.
It will be very missed. Even the wife let out a lil sigh on this matter.
However, by the time I was half way thourgh the removal process...I was HATING that SHI* and wanted to nuke it off!

Granite...
just no fires in front of the house please, I dont wanna have char marks on my driveway!:flipoff2:

Sorry to disappoint you all!

But if you have any vinyl to D/C...this stuff with the method described made life a TON easier.

Ill post pics of the nakedness later as Im at work right now!

Chicago

But if you have any vinyl to D/C...this stuff with the method described made life a TON easier.

Ill post pics of the nakedness later as Im at work right now!

Chicago

I have had to remove old vinyl of cars before and all I ever used was a heat gun. Worked like a charm. Sorry to hear you had such a battle, but at least it is over now. :cheers:

I, too, just got rid of my tired wood grain. It was weathered and worn, covering up a little rust, and I'm in the middle of a major repainting project. I used a heat gun and a couple scrapers--the rig is getting repainted anyway. I'll start a thread on that before long.
If I could paint some woodgrain back on...

Reminds me of a practical joke I played on my buddy who also had an FJ62. He always gave me crap about my woodgrain, so one day I bought some woodgrain shelf paper (light adhesive type) and applied it to the driver's side of his cruiser while it was in the parking lot. When he returned from a trip (we were Air Force flight engineers at the time) he spent several minutes looking for his truck, thinking it was mine before he realized what I'd done. We got a good laugh out of that one.:D
That peeled back off easily, unlike the battle I had with my 20 yr old vinyl. Like I said, another thread is coming.

Keith,
Any chance you were able to save any of it? I would like to sand it--re-finish it, and do a restoration to put it on Calicrusier's rig. It would be the "Green" thing to do.;)

Keith,
Any chance you were able to save any of it? I would like to sand it--re-finish it, and do a restoration to put it on Calicrusier's rig. It would be the "Green" thing to do.;)

:D:D:D:D:D

He'd love that Im sure!

I can piece together the scraps I have and we can do a nice colage on the side of his baby!:doh:

Look forward to wheelin with you this season!

K

I have had to remove old vinyl of cars before and all I ever used was a heat gun. Worked like a charm. Sorry to hear you had such a battle, but at least it is over now. :cheers:

I tried the heat exclusively, and it sort of worked.... The DS, was definately more stubborn than the PS for what ever reason.
Seemed that it was more solitified, and less pliable.

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom