Stiffer Suspension for Towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any suggestions out there for improving my suspension for towing a travel trailer (approx 6,000 lb.). I thought about the OME Heavy kit plus diff drop, but it has two negatives - $1,000 and lift. Although a lift seems nice, I really don't need it and it makes that many more garages inaccessible. Not to mention the family will complain since the running boards are off.

What good options are there for maintaining relatively similar ride height while increasing load capacity? Airbags, Shocks, leaf springs, torsion bars, etc? One goal is to get stiffer reactions to vertical movement and the other goal is to get stiffer reactions to lateral rotation during sway.

Any suggestions out there for improving my suspension for towing a travel trailer (approx 6,000 lb.). I thought about the OME Heavy kit plus diff drop, but it has two negatives - $1,000 and lift. Although a lift seems nice, I really don't need it and it makes that many more garages inaccessible. Not to mention the family will complain since the running boards are off.

What good options are there for maintaining relatively similar ride height while increasing load capacity? Airbags, Shocks, leaf springs, torsion bars, etc? One goal is to get stiffer reactions to vertical movement and the other goal is to get stiffer reactions to lateral rotation during sway.

Our old 97 had Firestone airsprings on it when we bought it. I replaced them with the OME heavies, we tow a Fleetwood E3.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but here's a link: Vehicle Applications - Toyota

HTH!!

You can get bags for your springs, there's a ~$100 kit, you put one in each spring and plumb a line to somewhere like your bumper and tap a standard valve in. When you're going to carry a load you just up the psi with a compressor or CO2 tank.

Air bags for the inside of the coil springs. I would also recommend upgrading the shocks to Bilsteins for more/better control.

I ran the AIR LIFT brand bags in my 80 series with some 864's and when loaded they helped out tremdously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom