What is the speed marker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FineWynsFJ40

Too much to do...
Threads
What the hell is it used for? The speedometer is hooked up via cable, and according to my schematic the only wire going to it is a power wire on a 15A fuse going to the alternator regulator and turn signal flasher. What gives? There are a few things that were under the dash that I couldn't figure out...

Thanks,
Brian

I think you're describing the speed marker that's part of the speedometer. It's a single spade lug on top of the speedo housing - connects to a light blue wire (IIRC) and is part of the emissions set up (at least on my Cali emissions 78's). The emissions "computer" is located DS under the dash near the side vent.

Then I guess my 1970 doesn't have it then, I think I was confusing the turn signal relay thing for the speed marker. Ok, thanks!

Brian

69 and maybe 70 cruisers did have a speed marker, what you are looking for is a 3" long aluminum looking cylinder with two wires coming out of it that is installed with threaded connectors in the speedo cable.

Mine had one. It's a Dec '70 build ('71 model), and I took it off and ran a 1-piece speedo cable.

Hijack:
brider- do you still have it? I want to see if I can make it work for a TBI conversion, and I havent found one to experiment with.

Hijack:
brider- do you still have it? I want to see if I can make it work for a TBI conversion, and I havent found one to experiment with.
Howdy! It is just another type of odometer. It tells the smog system when to turn on the dash light that says you need emision service. I diconnected mine when I bought it, not perforrmance difference. Later, I bypassed it by using a longer speedo cable. John

Thats for the later ones, that are 1/'75-maybe 8/'76... early ones feed vehicle speed to the primitive emissions computer.

Howdy! It is just another type of odometer. It tells the smog system when to turn on the dash light that says you need emision service. I diconnected mine when I bought it, not perforrmance difference. Later, I bypassed it by using a longer speedo cable. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom