Valve cover gasket??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to put the valve cover back on my 2F and was wondering if I needed to out any sort of sealant before bolting it down? Also any tips for keeping it put while I wrestle the valve cover back on? Thanks.

you don't really want to put any kind of sealant on it because eventually you will have to adjust your valves. With goop on it you are more than likely going to tear the gasket and have to buy a new one. I never use a sealant on it. It's just easier without it. I just lay the gasket on the head surface and it usually slips into the groove on the valve cover. You can finagle it a bit to get it to seat right but it's pretty simpe and straight forward a :banana: job...

No sealant. Just make sure that the groove in the valve cover and the flat surface on the head are clean and smooth.

Seat the gasket in the groove in the cover. Find some way to hold it in place while you flip the cover over and place it on the head. I can usually hold mine in place when I flip it. Then grab the cover and move it around with circular motion making sure that the gasket is seated in the cover and flat on the head.

If it's not seated right, you might have to push the gasket under the cover from the outside. Or you might have to slightly lift the cover to get the lip of the gasket into the groove on the cover. Be patient, you'll get it.

I'm getting ready to put the valve cover back on my 2F and was wondering if I needed to out any sort of sealant before bolting it down? Also any tips for keeping it put while I wrestle the valve cover back on? Thanks.

The rubber gasket used on the earlier 2F valve cover does not need any sealant between the gasket and the sealing surface. However, I have found that putting a little bit in the groove on the front and rear of the cover and in a couple locations along each side of the cover helps a lot at keeping the gasket in the proper location during installation.

The rubber gasket used on the earlier 2F valve cover does not need any sealant between the gasket and the sealing surface. However, I have found that putting a little bit in the groove on the front and rear of the cover and in a couple locations along each side of the cover helps a lot at keeping the gasket in the proper location during installation.

This is what I ended up doing and it worked like a champ, thanks guys. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom