Non tech - opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hope no-one minds me popping up a non techie question? I was just after some opinions with regards to the manuals download site. (Having another of my modding urges). :D Would anyone class it as a useful if I adapted the Atom feed to output what downloads are available, so that one could keep a track of any new additions to the site from their newsreader/feed client?

Cheers.

wosh....over my head. Can you explain it further?

wosh....over my head. Can you explain it further?

I most surely can. :) Atom is similar in principle to RSS, (which more people will probably recognise the name of than Atom). It literally produces a list of items that most browsers, (not sure about IE), can recognise, as well as dedicated newsfeed client programmes. (It's those little green/blue/orange XML icons that you tend to see on a lot of sites these days). Once you've linked to the URI of the feed with your browser or feed client, it then checks periodically as to whether any new items have been added to that list. If so, it will indicate that there are new items in the feed, and you can see what's newly added. It would be best likened to an auto updating index, without having to periodically check the site categories manually, so to speak.

Edit: Just checked with a slightly more extensive browser, and there's a RSS feed on this forum. This is similar to an Atom feed: IH8MUD.com Forum - Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems

Last edited:
yah I still have no idea about it. Thanks for the explanation, but I know zilch about website construction.

If you have a question you could ask Woody. Thanks for the great manuals!

I think computers are wonDerful,you can surf the net and send emails;) The silicon chip sure made things better.:D

I dunno Matt ,Im happy with the way the site is.

Do you know where I can play online games like Pong in colour,for free against sexy women?:grinpimp:

I think he is talking about how we could subscribe to his site and when he posts a new manual we would get an email notification. Is that correct?

I think he is talking about how we could subscribe to his site and when he posts a new manual we would get an email notification. Is that correct?

It's not so much receiving an email as a notification when you open your RSS feeds. For instance, you can subscribe to this forum through an RSS feed which could be handled by your browser, email or dedicated RSS feed reader. If you used an RSS reader, which would more than likely reside in a toolbar (for instant access), you could see new postings in this forum without opening your web browser. You can't respond to the posts, but you can read them.
HTH
GG

Ok so Ive read this post like 10 times. I had to stop cus clear fluid started leaking out of my ear. Are you asking a question?
G??

:D :D :D Yup.

Do you know where I can play online games like Pong in colour,for free against sexy women?:grinpimp:

Nope. But if you find a link, be sure to post it. :D (Just for reference purposes, you understand). :D

I dunno Matt ,Im happy with the way the site is.

Almost. :)

The site wouldn't be changing at all. It would just be an extra option to keep track of things. The first link below is for the Atom feed for the articles FAQ section on the site. Popping that link into a feed reader will give an idea of what it does. The first time you enter the link into the reader, it downloads the feed. The next time it checks the feed, if nothing has changed, (i.e: if no new articles have been added), it doesn't do anything. If another article is added, or an existing one updated, however, the next time your feed reader connects to check the feed, it gets notified that there is a change and updates its copy of the feed. The simplest way to summarise it would be that it is like an update announcement on your desktop.

Master Portal - forums.bauchan.org Atom Feed

If you go to the FAQ section directly on the link below, that little green icon in the top right hand corner of the category header is the link to the Atom feed. That is the only visible alteration the feed makes to the site. :)

Master Portal - forums.bauchan.org/Site News, Information & F.A.Q's

Adding the downloads sections to it would work exactly the same. The actual downloads site itself would still be exactly the same. However, you could add the link to that atom feed into your client programme, and then that programme would automatically notify you if any new additions had been made to the site. It's merely an extra addition to the site, but doesn't alter in any way how the site works. :)

If anyone feels like having a masochistic tech reading session, the site below gives cartloads of info on the specifics of Atom, and links to multiple client programmes. :D

AtomEnabled.org

Just popping this post up as a pre-emptive note. :D I'll be updating the server sometime over the next several hours, so just wanted to mention incase I've missed any glitches during testing and it decides to play silly buggers. :D It's nowt to worry about if so. It'll be sorted soon as. :)

The updates are in place now. :) The main two, (rather hard to notice), :D differences are the availability of an Atom feed index for the downloads categories, (including all downloads listed within), as a whole, or for each individual category. The links are signified by the little green feed icon:

atom.png

in the top right hand corner, on the index page and the category listings. The downloads don't get (updated|added to) with rapid frequency btw, so setting the feed client or browser to only refresh the feed once a day/week will be ample. Checking every hour or so would be fairly pointless. :D

The second change is referenced by this little blue icon on the right hand side under each download:

elink.png

Clicking on that will bring an e-mail link form up, (so that if anyone is in the frame of mind to actually find that less hassle than using their e-mail client), :D it will e-mail the link to that specific download to the recipient address(es) you specify.

If anyone notices anything playing up or not working as expected, give me a shout. :) Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom