radio installation supplies, cables, wires etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I'm getting ready to install my new aftermarket deck in my tuffy console, I have all new front speakers with tweeters and new rear speakers and amp to power them.

I need is some recommendations on the cables/wires for the setup. What type, brand, where to buy etc..This would be for sound and power. Any inline fuses for the amp (although I think there maybe a built in one)?

Thanks in advance
S&S

Not much help, only to say the bigger the better, especially the power and ground for the amp.

I used to buy decent speaker wire from a speaker repair place. It was 14ga with nice shielding that cost a fraction of the 16ga Monster Cable stuff that wasn't even high end.

Same with the power/ ground. Go to a car audio shop. It'll be cheaper because they'll sell it off the spool, and you won't have to pay for a brand name or packaging. They'll make sure you have the right size for your amp/length of your run.

Definitely put a fuse close to the battery for the amp.The amp probably has an internal fuse to protect itself, but the fuse will help protect anything else the power wire might come in contact with.

I am pulling my stereo back out of my tuffy. I decided I don't like it hidden in their and the remote does not work with the lid closed. It is a pain opening the lid and closing it to change the CD or track. The wiring is not a big deal on brand. Just get some quality speaker wire from Radio-shack for autos since it has different shielding. Where are you going to mount the amp? I would run a fused power cable straight from the battery. I wouldn't just use the fuse the in the amp.

I am pulling my stereo back out of my tuffy. I decided I don't like it hidden in their and the remote does not work with the lid closed. It is a pain opening the lid and closing it to change the CD or track. The wiring is not a big deal on brand. Just get some quality speaker wire from Radio-shack for autos since it has different shielding. Where are you going to mount the amp? I would run a fused power cable straight from the battery. I wouldn't just use the fuse the in the amp.

Yikes did you say CD! The deck I brought has input to hardwire an Ipod, so I'll just running that one cable out to where ever I mount the ipod. I can see that it would be a pain to keep reaching in there to change cds, etc...As for the Amp my buddy mounted his the rear of the truck, in the quarter panel storage area. I bought a alpine pd4.1 (something like that), it's a digital amp so it doesn't produce heat. It should be safe there.

I got a Kenwood ipod adapter which is controlled from the the deck or remote. That might work fine running the ipod from outside the tuffy. I mounted my amp behind the driver's side panel in the back trunk. There are a lot of good decks now with a lot of power and you almost don't need a amp unless you want some sub-woofers.

Last edited:
I got a Kenwood ipod adapter which is controlled from the the deck or remote. That might work fine running the ipod from outside the tuffy. I mounted my amp behind the driver's side panel in the back trunk. There are a lot of good decks now with a lot of power and you almost don't need a amp unless you want some sub-woofers.

Yeah the amp might be an overkill, but I adding new speakers upfront with tweeters and new larger speakers in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom