Two Questions:Hoses and Air/Smog Pump... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First Question:

I'm trying to loosen the Air/Smog Pump so that I can remove the belt and replace it. I loosened the bolt that tightens and slides against the bracket and the bolt that allows the pump to pivot, but it still will not budge.

Am I missing something? I don't want to force it and possibly break something.

Second Question: In changing all my hoses, I came upon the water pump "bypass" hose pictured below.

Notice how the mechanic for the PO "cut" a piece of heater hose and didn't even do a good job at it. It's too long! It actually crimped up.

What would this have cause besides some restriction?

This illustrates how using Factory/O.E.M. parts makes such a big difference.
HTRBYPASHOSES1.jpg
HTRBYPASHOSES2.jpg

There are three bolts that need to be loosened. Loosen the bolts indicated by the red arrows first--the pivot bolt and nut at the bottom and bolt that goes through the slot. Then loosening the tension bolt should reduce the tension and allow the pump to pivot towards the engine.

The bypass hose is there to let water circulate through the engine even when the thermostat is closed. You need some circulation so the thermostat is submersed in the water from the engine so it can operate properly. Having a reduced flow through the bypass probably didn't do any damage. Having no flow through the bypass would be bad.
air pump mounting.JPG

There are three bolts that need to be loosened. Loosen the bolts indicated by the red arrows first--the pivot bolt and nut at the bottom and bolt that goes through the slot. Then loosening the tension bolt should reduce the tension and allow the pump to pivot towards the engine.

The bypass hose is there to let water circulate through the engine even when the thermostat is closed. You need some circulation so the thermostat is submersed in the water from the engine so it can operate properly. Having a reduced flow through the bypass probably didn't do any damage. Having no flow through the bypass would be bad.

Thank 2mbb...I knew you'd have the answer. It was between you, Nocal or Danimal who I figured would have answered me first!

Thanks. I did everything you suggested except for turning the adjusting bolt "clockwise".

I'll try it this weekend.

Now that I'm in there and all this stuff is easily accessible, I'm thinking of replacing the smog pump as well as the p/s pump.

I've noticed the p/s pump leaking a little where the pulley is.:confused:

Don't want it seizing my smog pump!

Thank 2mbb...I knew you'd have the answer. It was between you, Nocal or Danimal who I figured would have answered me first!

Thanks. I did everything you suggested except for turning the adjusting bolt "clockwise".

I'll try it this weekend.

Now that I'm in there and all this stuff is easily accessible, I'm thinking of replacing the smog pump as well as the p/s pump.

I've noticed the p/s pump leaking a little where the pulley is.:confused:

Don't want it seizing my smog pump!

Check my post again because I did some editing. I now think you want to loosen (turn counterclockwise) the tension screw to get the pump to loosen. You will know which is the correct way to turn it pretty quickly. Either the belt will get tighter (that's the wrong way) or the belt will get loose (yeah!), or tension bolt will get loose & back out. If the latter the pump is frozen in the mount and probably needs strategic use of a pry bar or maybe a plastic hammer.

Check my post again because I did some editing. I now think you want to loosen (turn counterclockwise) the tension screw to get the pump to loosen. You will know which is the correct way to turn it pretty quickly. Either the belt will get tighter (that's the wrong way) or the belt will get loose (yeah!), or tension bolt will get loose & back out. If the latter the pump is frozen in the mount and probably needs strategic use of a pry bar or maybe a plastic hammer.

Yeah, I thought it was counterclockwise too because right now, It's all the way out and it's totally loose. I guess it's frozen. I did put a pry bar to it, but I didn't want to push to hard. I have a rubber mallet I will try first.

Thanks again

:) 2mbb always has the good pictures.:cheers:

How is the cruiser running? Did you pass smog?

:) 2mbb always has the good pictures.:cheers:

How is the cruiser running? Did you pass smog?

Haha no way, I'm still working on it!

I started with the Intake/Exhaust gasket job, which quickly turned into a bigger job. Since I was in there, I decided to clean all the components off and I'm in the process of painting them all.

The gasket was definitely leaking.

Check out some of the pics:

Good thing it's not my DD and that I have a garage to store it in as this is taking looooong.
EGRCARBONBLDUP.jpg
INTKEXHSTGSKT.jpg

Yeah, I thought it was counterclockwise too because right now, It's all the way out and it's totally loose. I guess it's frozen. I did put a pry bar to it, but I didn't want to push to hard. I have a rubber mallet I will try first.

Thanks again

Do you have the air hoses disconnected and out of the way?

Do you have the air hoses disconnected and out of the way?

No, they're still on, but I can't even get it to budge a bit. I know that once it moves freely I'll have to remove the hoses.

You should try and take them off. I have seen sometimes the hoses can be so hard and brittle that they severely limit the movement of the pump. It might help to yank them off or cut them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom