I need a short tutorial on diesel motors..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm specifically looking at 60 series TLCs. What motors came in what years and what were the pros/cons of each?

If there's somewhere this has already been discussed, could you kindly point me in that direction? Thanks!

probably been discussed to death.

as far as I know most commonly...

None in the US

in Canada:
BJ60's had the 3B
HJ60's had the 2H
no diesels for 62's

in Japan:
same as above plus
BJ61's had 13bt
HJ61's had 12ht

Sorry don't know the year specifics of each but bj60's I think started in 1981 and hj60's a little later... the bj61's and hj61's were later like 88-91 I think and had a high roof

3B - 4 cyl 3.4L about 90hp
2H - 6cyl (about 120hp??)
13bt - basically a 3b with a turbo = more power and more versatile (for altitude etc)
12ht - basically a 2h with a turbo

I'm not an expert and could be wrong on stuff or missing info, but that's your basic gist off the top of my head

Hi bigndn

Try reading EVERYTHING on this site:

TLC FAQ v3.0 LAST MODIFICATION 08/10/03

I'm rather ashamed to say that I read this for the first time only a couple of days ago.

And I do remember seeing info there on the changes that have occurred in the models over the years (although it doesn't concentrate on diesels alone).

In fact it contains so much useful information it is amazing. And I would say it is very valuable reading indeed for anyone wishing to purchase an old cruiser for the first time.

(Some information that I've posted on this site - thinking that it hadn't been said before - was already just sitting here too.)

:cheers:

The 2H motor is rated at 103hp, not 120.....

probably been discussed to death.

the bj61's and hj61's were later like 88-91 I think and had a high roof
My HJ61 was an 85 and low roof. I think oz got them in 84 but its possible Japan had them earlier.
The 60s are hard to tie down on the years as they varied depending on the market.
Tapage tells us they were still available in 92 in South America

The 2H motor is rated at 103hp, not 120.....

Cheers... hence the question mark, I probably shouldn't post it if I don't really know... :rolleyes:

My HJ61 was an 85 and low roof. I think oz got them in 84 but its possible Japan had them earlier.
The 60s are hard to tie down on the years as they varied depending on the market.

ok I don't know s***

I'm officialy in Central America, but in the border with Colombia that means I'm pretty close so South America anycase ..

My Tencha it's low roof but here are plenty of hi roof 60 and 62 .. ( I hate the hi roof ) also few BJ60 too ..

OK, would I be correct in assuming the 3b is more desireable than the 2H? All other things considered, turbo is the way to go? Thanks!

OK, would I be correct in assuming the 3b is more desireable than the 2H? All other things considered, turbo is the way to go? Thanks!

Ok .. here start the war ! :D

If you ask me .. I would say no .. I prefeer the 2H instead of 3B ( there are 2 more cilinder ! ) but .. the 3B have some good features that the 2H don't have.

OK, I just put a 12HT into an FJ62 :D and I'm lovin' it. I'm wondering though: if I get the FJ62 FSM, what do I do for the 12HT? Or could I try to find a FSM for the HJ61 and just use that?

OK, I just put a 12HT into an FJ62 :D and I'm lovin' it. I'm wondering though: if I get the FJ62 FSM, what do I do for the 12HT? Or could I try to find a FSM for the HJ61 and just use that?

The engine and the body/chassis manuals have always been 2 separate manuals.
In most countries the body chassis manual covers all 60/61/62 series and 70 series 84-90.

The 2H / 12HT engine manual and the body chassis can all be downloaded from the online manuals at the top of the 70 series and diesel forum

IMO the only good all in one manual is the Gregorys 502. I take these in the cruiser with me as they are compact and cheap
http://www.haynes.com.au/images/gap 502_sml.jpg

The engine and the body/chassis manuals have always been 2 separate manuals.
In most countries the body chassis manual covers all 60/61/62 series and 70 series 84-90.

The 2H / 12HT engine manual and the body chassis can all be downloaded from the online manuals at the top of the 70 series and diesel forum

IMO the only good all in one manual is the Gregorys 502. I take these in the cruiser with me as they are compact and cheap
http://www.haynes.com.au/images/gap 502_sml.jpg

The downloads are great! Guess I should have checked the top o' the page. :doh:

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, guys, but it's not looking like it's gonna work out. :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom