junk steel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wife got out of work early today and it was so nice out we decided to go on a date.... to the steel yard:D brought 2000lbs worth of junk Toyota parts to the scrap yard and made $213 not bad for 3 hours of work. got to love those ifs diffs.....they bring in some good coin at the scrap yard :D

I also have two 1st gen 4runner role bars if any one wants them (they can be put into 2nd gen 4runners) let me know soon since they are going to the scrap yard next week

I also have two 1st gen 4runner role bars if any one wants them (they can be put into 2nd gen 4runners) let me know soon since they are going to the s**** yard next week

Nate, have you seen anyone put one in a 2nd gen? I tried to get it in without any modifications, and that didn't work. My next options is to cut the thing in half, drill 2 holes on each side, and install it with a another piece inside round tubing and bolting/coupling it together again. Not really for roll over protection, but for mounting stuff in the back. The ROPS on my tractor is pieced together this way, so I think it should work.

Yeah steel prices are crazy. I am taking whats left of the 60 I am parting out and a bunch of other junk. Hoping to have about 6-7k lbs.

Gotta be careful, they give you less for sheet metal than they do for say cast pieces like a 3rd member.

Hope you didn't scrap any late 80's IFS V6 rear 3rds Nate. You could probablt get decent cash for them.

Gotta be careful, they give you less for sheet metal than they do for say cast pieces like a 3rd member.

Hope you didn't scrap any late 80's IFS V6 rear 3rds Nate. You could probablt get decent cash for them.

nahh i keep the rear 3rds not v6 3rds but i have some 4cyl 3rds i have been striping to and rebuilding them with solid spacers and lockers i will be putting a lock right in for kyle sometime this week:D the front ifs diffs are useless to me i think i had 4 of them they added a lot of weight :)

Last edited:
Nate, have you seen anyone put one in a 2nd gen? I tried to get it in without any modifications, and that didn't work. My next options is to cut the thing in half, drill 2 holes on each side, and install it with a another piece inside round tubing and bolting/coupling it together again. Not really for roll over protection, but for mounting stuff in the back. The ROPS on my tractor is pieced together this way, so I think it should work.

i use to have a 2nd gen and had to do what you stated above cut it in half, sleeve it and weld it. i can remember how much i had to take out maybe 3" but i did find a write up for you that may help just scroll down to post #9 can i fit a roll bar in a gen 2 runner to drive home? - YotaTech Forums

Yeah steel prices are crazy. I am taking whats left of the 60 I am parting out and a bunch of other junk. Hoping to have about 6-7k lbs.

dam dude that a lot! i got $113 for 1000lbs. 6-7k lbs should fund some really nice gear for your cruiser :hmm:

Did some calling around and Metal's Recycling seems to have the best prices.

$190/ton for light steel - sheet metal ect
$210/ton for heavy - diffs, drums, frames

They are actually the only place that considers frames heavy. Plus they are within a half hour drive of the house unlike some of the others. :bounce2: I'll let you know how I make out. Looks like Thursday will be the day.

Last edited:
The price is 180-190/ton in Middleburro MA was up there the other day with a Ford car stuffed full and made like $500, minus the 50 in fuel it was a good day, and now I have a clean shop :D

I usualy end up buying a car for 100, ripping the cat off it, making my 100ish back, (alum rims are $15ea, they make a nice bonus) then stuffing it full after thoroughly beating the snot out of it. PUshnig it up the trailer with the bobcat, or driving it up on the trailer if it runs :lol: When I am done I have a little cash for the "secret envelope in the tool box" fund and a clean shop.

Nope :) just as they come, fold the seats down, sometimes I cut the roof off, and fill it from the top. I made a J@@P grand chero-car with no rims and tires weigh in at about 6500lb a few weeks ago :lol:

dam dude that a lot! i got $113 for 1000lbs. 6-7k lbs should fund some really nice gear for your cruiser :hmm:

Unfortunately a lot of it is already spent. I picked up a torch set to be able to take the things that I wanted out of it easily. So just trying to recoup my money from that.

I might have to start scrapping steel on side to fund the cruiser.

I might have to start scrapping steel on side to fund the cruiser.

You need to move up the food chain a little to make some real cash at scrapin'. Grab all the copper, brass and aluminum you can find and take that in instead. $.75/pound for aluminum up to several dollars/pound for copper adds up way faster than by the ton for steel!

Nick

You need to move up the food chain a little to make some real cash at scrapin'. Grab all the copper, brass and aluminum you can find and take that in instead. $.75/pound for aluminum up to several dollars/pound for copper adds up way faster than by the ton for steel!

Nick

Depends on what you call 'easy' if your parting out a truck for the parts and junking the hulk after cleaning your shop, its a win-win any way you look at it. Selling/trading the parts is a nice 'bonus' for me. Copper and alum take time to go gather and its not as much fun as taking a sawzall to a junk truck :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom