Hello, new guy with questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new here and was searching around to get and idea about the FJ80s. i am in the Army and stationed at FT Bragg NC. I am thinking about buying a 1991 FJ80 with 3FE 4.0 I6 and that its an automatic, the PO says it has center diff locker and the axles are open. I have owned full size blazers. I am looking to make this the family rock crawling rig and like the idea of the room verses a 1997 TJ. I would like to run 36" to 39.5" Iroks and lock the axles front and rear. I have a set of GM 1 ton axles that have Detroit lockers front and rear that I was thinking about swapping into the FJ80. The dometer reads 245,000 and has power everything.

Now for the bad, the steering gear box is leaking, and oil pan is leaking slightly.

Any help would be great.

V/R

Danny

I have a '91 and love it .I had a '79 Blazer I built into a rock crawler but sold it and decided to do more family expedition type stuff.
A few things to be aware of is the early '90s have a EFI main relay overheating problem, its a fairly simple fix or just carry spare relays and switch them out when th truck wont start, when the relay cools down you can reuse it.
Another thing I have found out the hard way is parts are hard to find and expensive.You wont find a dozen wrecked fj80s in the junk yard like old chevy's are.
other then that you cant go wrong with a cruiser

the 3FE is a bit of a dog and will be moreso with the 36s on there. but the 3FE is a workhorse that will not let you down.

Your 91 has a center diff lock button, but you do not have locking diffs (they're open, as you state).

he can't be asking much for the rig.

Should I keep the stock axles with longfield super axles shafts and get after market lockers. Or swap in 1 ton axles, also beside ARB who else makes lockers for the FJ80.

Should I keep the stock axles with longfield super axles shafts and get after market lockers. Or swap in 1 ton axles, also beside ARB who else makes lockers for the FJ80.

There are a few automatic lockers available for an 80... Aussie and Detroit are two of them.

But if you got 1-tonners, then I say swap 'em in!

Is there anything special I need to do to swap in 1 ton axles into a 91 FJ80. What do other people think about swapping in 1 tons or go with longfield front shafts and 4340 chromo rear axles from slee offroad?

Is there anything special I need to do to swap in 1 ton axles into a 91 FJ80. What do other people think about swapping in 1 tons or go with longfield front shafts and 4340 chromo rear axles from slee offroad?

When you say swap the axles, are you referring to simply the axle shafts or the entire axle housing?

-Phil

how slow can you go?

AppleTech,

I mean to do a total axle swap to a Dana 60/14 Bolt Full Float is it just like swapping axles on a Jeep, Chevy or 80's model Toyota pick-up. But from you comment I will take it as it’s a standard axle swap like any other 4x4.

reffug,

Not sure what you mean about how slow can I go.

AppleTech,

I mean to do a total axle swap to a Dana 60/14 Bolt Full Float is it just like swapping axles on a Jeep, Chevy or 80's model Toyota pick-up. But from you comment I will take it as it’s a standard axle swap like any other 4x4.

reffug,

Not sure what you mean about how slow can I go.

Haha... reffug is referring to the 3FE I presume? :)

I think you will run into problems doing a GM swap - if you look at the LC rear axle, the pumpkin is offset to the passenger side... this is to clear the large fuel tank. Unless you have a GM axle with the same offset I would imagine you would get rubbing of your driveshaft on the fuel tank.

-Phil

AppleTech,

LOL. thanks for the axle info... now I need to get info on a V8 swap lol.

welcome aboard

Hey man if you have any ?s, maybe I can help. If you see a green cruiser around post w/ African country stickers on the LC. That'll be me. again welcome aboard.

if u can do the swap id say do it. although ive never heard of a 80 with that combo (i could be wrong but was searching along the same lines). on the early 80's u cant upgrade the rear axle shafts as they are a sf and no one makes upgraded shafts for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom