Spark Plug Gap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where in the heck did any of you find a gauge that has .8 mm or .031 inch? No matter where I look they all go from .030 straight to .032.

successful

I bought the denso K16R-Us, but I can't remember if I got them in one of my cruiser dan orders, or if I picked em up locally. Any rate, they were gapped quite a bit too small out of the box. I ended up with confidence I got them to .31 by using one of the coin looking gap tools.

IIRC the gap for my 92 3fe listed in the FSM is .043". Is that correct ?

I see alot of .032s on here when I search. Now I am wondering

about my 87 2F ?

IIRC the gap for my 92 3fe listed in the FSM is .043". Is that correct ?

I see alot of .032s on here when I search. Now I am wondering

about my 87 2F ?

For any year, both your owner's manual and your FSM will list the correct gap.

No reason at all to assume a 2F or 3FE would use the same gap, or even the same plugs, as a 1FZE.

Not assuming anything. My FSM for the 92 3fe is listed as .043". However I have seen conflicting information in a Haynes manual. I know the FSM is the bible but I think the Haynes lists all three engines as .032" (2F, 3FE, and the 1Fze). Another poster states that gap is not that critical. Makes you wonder ... ??

When in doubt, consult the FSM.

Haynes is worthless. IMO.

FSM or Haynes

Always FSM before Haynes. I use my haynes as mostly just a compliment to my FSM in order to have another photo to reference, etc. However, when they conflict, the FSM always wins.

Makes you wonder ... ??

:confused:

Not really. :meh:

FSM and Owner's manual are each the SOURCE of the information; I.e., what Toyota's engineers decided the spec. should be.

Everything else is second hand information. Didn't you ever play the game "telephone" in grade school?

Curtis

P.S. I have no problem with Jim C's comment that the gap is not all that critical. That is a completely different question than "What is the correct gap?"

Haynes is worthless.

I disagree.

Haynes often has good real world tricks/shortcuts for removal procedures (similar to a lot of MUD info/advice.) Keep in mind how hard info. like that was to come by before the internet.

But for specifications? Definitely worthless. Just checked; sdbrassfield is correct that Haynes has incorrect 3FE (at least) gap.

This is starting to remind me of a post a while ago on the 3FE Yahoo list:

"Hi guys,

I'm changing my spark plugs. FSM says gap is "x", but Haynes manual says it's "y", and Autozone says it's "z". What should I do????" :rolleyes:

Where in the heck did any of you find a gauge that has .8 mm or .031 inch? No matter where I look they all go from .030 straight to .032.

My OEM Toyota plugs from CDan were pregapped.

If you are looking for a metric gauge, my coin style gauge is metric on the back, I think most of them are.

isnt the gap between the .030 and .032 the .031? Just put the gap in between!

You could add two gauges together to make the 0.031. I don't think the balls on accuracy that you're shooting for is generally necessary/required/obtainable. The pre-gapped ones should be checked though, they can be off some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom