92 3FE alternator question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have an external fan? Am I correct? Also if you can't go OEM, are any brands better than others. I run nothing aux. (for now) And removing the smog pump. Is that the unit directly above the alternator? I plan to try and do this tommorow. Should be intresting......

I think I have an external fan? Am I correct?

More than likely. 3FE-equipped 80s had two different alternators, 80A (ex. fan) and 90A (int. fan). 80A is BY FAR the most common.

If you have the external fan, it's an 80A alternator, and you can see it just by looking at it.

Also if you can't go OEM, are any brands better than others. I run nothing aux. (for now)

Most will disagree, but if you absolutely CAN'T get an OEM unit, then I would suggest Napa. Plan on changing it out every year, though, IME.

And removing the smog pump. Is that the unit directly above the alternator? I plan to try and do this tommorow. Should be intresting......

Yup, right in the way as a matter of fact. The smog pump is quite simple to remove, probably 30 minutes for a first-timer. Plan on two hours at the most to get both the smog pump and alternator out.

AND DON'T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! I learned the hard way...

HTH :cheers:
-Lane

Battery is out. Had it tested prior to rule it out first. It its holding a charge, so I am going in. I dont really want to have to keeping changing it out every year. Are the OEM's that much better? If so I'll hold off and order an OEM. I rather get my rig running again this weekend. But id it truley makes a ton of difference I'll wait.

Are the OEM's that much better? If so I'll hold off and order an OEM. I rather get my rig running again this weekend. But id it truley makes a ton of difference I'll wait.

That's a tough one...

Your alternator is likely original, and therefore lasted 16 years. No WAY will an aftermarket one last anywhere near that long.

That said: I currently have a NAPA unit in my rig. :eek: Just didn't have the time to wait for OEM to arrive. BUT: The first one was bad right when I put it in! :doh: Took it back, and the replacement has been good for a couple years now. I really should get an OEM backup, but... :meh:

I also had my original alt. rebuilt back in '01; that lasted about three years. I'm very good at swapping out alt's at this point. :hillbilly:

Do what choo gotta do mang,

Curtis

How about Denso brand?

Denso is usually OEM spec., no??

When they build it for Toyota, yes.

Denso builds things for other manufacturers as well, to their specifications. I've seen a few Chryslers with Denso equipment, and we all know how Chrysler fares... :rolleyes:

Point is, just 'cause it's Denso doesn't mean it'll be up to Toyota spec.

Last edited:
That said: I currently have a NAPA unit in my rig. :eek: Just didn't have the time to wait for OEM to arrive. BUT: The first one was bad right when I put it in! :doh: Took it back, and the replacement has been good for a couple years now. I really should get an OEM backup, but... :meh:

:lol:

I remember when you confessed that. Seems you got a peach... :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom