Dumb question - license plate screws (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 80 recently and the PO kept the license plate screws. I tried some from my other cars but they don't fit. I was at the Toyota dealer today buying antifreeze, they weren't sure what the 80 used but gave me two different sets. Neither one fits.

Does anyone know what the thread is on these things?

why are u worried about the thread? Just grab a small nut and bolt and ur done,

Had this same problem...bought a Slee rear bumper. IPOR or 4X4Labs would work as well.:)

6x1.0mm

why are u worried about the thread? Just grab a small nut and bolt and ur done,

Captive 6x1.00mm nuts in the tailgate.

here on the NE they are TEK screws as the old ones broke off in the gate and the asses at the dealer just zip screwed on the new plate :doh:

Had this same problem...bought a Slee rear bumper. IPOR or 4X4Labs would work as well.:)

Hahaha, I love it!!! I can just see myself thinking the same way. In fact, I'm trying to convince myself that the slightly rusty trailer hitch I have warrants getting the Slee bumper sometime soon. :cheers:

here on the NE they are TEK screws as the old ones broke off in the gate and the asses at the dealer just zip screwed on the new plate :doh:
I had the same happen here. So I'm guessing that the inside cover of the lift gate comes off relatively easily (don't wanna break any clips in the process), then you can get access to the inside of the license plate screw holes? (And I can retrieve the loose nut that's clunkin around in there too haha)

I had the same happen here. So I'm guessing that the inside cover of the lift gate comes off relatively easily (don't wanna break any clips in the process), then you can get access to the inside of the license plate screw holes? (And I can retrieve the loose nut that's clunkin around in there too haha)

On my old 92 80 I did just this . I popped the carpet off and pulled the inside cover off sprayed it up with some PB Blaster and was able to grab the bolt that had broken off with vise grips and removed it from the captive nut .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom